Charles City Warnings Or Dangers Tips by matcrazy1
Charles City Warnings and Dangers: 10 reviews and 10 photos
WAKE UP, MY FRIEND!
Look at this poor, sleepy guy in my car. Nat, awake please, the Berkeley plantation is just ahead! Did you prepare our trip long hours last night or we just started our trip too early? Yes, we (my wife and I) were more lucky than you. With our jetlag in the second day after coming from Europe we got up... 6 hours later than you :-). Poor visitors from eastern Asia.
Well, if you want to see anything more than just one James River plantation you should leave Richmond early to rich the plantation at its opening hour (9.00 am). A day before, better go to bed early... although VT at night is so addicteve.
I STOPPED HERE!
The scenic route 5 from Richmond to Williamsburg passes through pretty forests but there are no parking lots or rest areas there. Instead I could always stop by a gas station.
I can't complain, I stopped in the middle of a forest first on the gravel and then on an asphalt shoulder. Hmm... was it allowed to cross this white solid line on my picture and stop there?
In Poland and Europe it is not allowed. In the USA, in contrast to Europe, I noticed solid middle lines painted along intersections (good for safety while driving at night esp. in bad weather when you can see only the line). And it was surely allowed to cross the solid line there in the USA.
FIRSTS IN BERKELEY
It's more my suggestions for the Berkeley plantation owners than real warning tip. My improving nature, ask the owners for some improvements, which surely cost... Hmm... I would like to pay for the entrance not more than I paid ($10.50).
Just top 10 proposals...
1. Improve the road leading to the plantation (it maybe gravel like it is but should be flat with real parking lot at the end + restrooms there),
2. What about welcoming all visitors by smiling pretty woman and handsome guy dressed in 17th century costume with a welcome leaflet and... small shot of bourbon whiskey (first destilled at Berkeley) + sounds of Taps,
3. Taps maybe played (by loudspeakers) at the gift store and by the Taps monument (by a musician?),
4. Open the Coach House Tavern as soon as possible,
5. Allow to take pictures everywhere including interiors of the mansion where it's forbidden,
6. What about canoe or boat/ship trips along James River - with or without the lunch (starting from Berkeley)?
7. More written information should be put especially in exhibitions in the basement and the mansion,
8. What about opening bourbon whiskey traditional destillery + liquor store?
9. What about the first Thanksgiving show on the bank of the James River?
10. What about evening/night tours with a supper at the grounds (in summer at least)?
The only inconvinience is that like with Williamsburg or Mount Vernon, the extras would surely have to be paid in addition to the basic $10.50 fee.
BASEMENT OF BERKELEY MANSION
There is a lot of various old and original house stuff and equipment displayed in the basement of the Berkeley mansion, mostly with no order, just put on the ground. Unfortunatelly there is no explanation on displayed items. It is not so simply to guess for what some of these things were used.
Read "don'ts" on my picture. Hmm... the grass is important in the Berkeley Plantation. Generally in the USA, in contrast to Europe, the grass and lawns are for walking not only for looking at. But not at, English in origin, Berkeley Plantation.
DO NOT TOUCH ANTIQUES!
When you visit the interiors of the Berkeley mansion DO:
- ask questions to your guide (like Nat did) and share your knowledge on VT.
The simplest question I heard many times in various places is: are these all furnitures original? :-)
A few others I would ask now:
- who was the first Harrison - builder of the mansion, what are his roots, where is he burried?
- who is the current owner of the house?
- what happened to Harrison family now?
- sit on antique chairs,
- touch aniquities,
- take pictures if you... see or hear and understand the ban (I didn't),
- smoke, drink etc.
Other Contact: +1 (888) 466-6018
Phone: +1 (804) 829-6018
The walkways within Berkeley Plantation were asphalt but the road outside was unpaved and muddy after rains. The meadow in which we parked a car was muddy as well. We had to walk there to get to the plantation.
It was not so bad but cleaning shoes was necessary after the visit to the plantation.
PRIVATE OR PUBLIC FOREST ALONG SR-5?
Keep in mind that forests in Virginia and the USA are often privately owned with no access allowed unless you get the permission from the owner or... buy the forest. Otherwise you maybe shot at place - it's the citation from the only legal mass media we had in Poland under the Soviet communist regime in 70' :-). Is that true?
If you want to enjoy walking in pretty broadleaved forests in and around Charles City County, hit your car to either any James River plantations (like I did) or to more distant Chippokes Plantation State Park on the south bank of James River (bridge in Hampton) or to York River State Park.
More Reviews (56)
- See All If you don't have a car...
- A few options
- See All White fence and mailbox
- Real Virginia cooking
- See All Cats
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Charles City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of James River plantations"
- "b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA"
- "Plantation Row"
- "Charles City, Virginia..home of plantation 2001"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charles City
- Hotels in Charles City
- Transportation in Charles City
- Nightlife in Charles City
- Restaurants in Charles City
- Shopping in Charles City
- Warnings and Dangers in Charles City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Cabugao Hotels
- Velimirovac Hotels
- International Falls
- Glengarnock Hotels
- Indian Hills Hotels
- Lyon Warnings and Dangers
- Australia Warnings and Dangers
- Portland Warnings and Dangers
- Recife Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Escondido Warnings and Dangers
- Hot & Humid Weather
- West Palm Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Belfast Warnings and Dangers
- Lock your car
- Ibiza Warnings and Dangers
- Malmö Warnings and Dangers
- Cayo Coco Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Charles City
- 64 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Charles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charles City
- Posted in Travel Georgia Forum "Re: GPS map of Georgia for Garmin"
- Commented on one of Karnubawax's Charles City travel pages
- updated a Charles City Travel Page "Land of James River plantations"
- Wrote a Review Suggested Improvements in Charles City Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Suggested Improvements"
Photos in Charles CitySee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Charles City hotel reviews
- Edgewood Plantation
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013