"Land of James River plantations" Charles City by matcrazy1
Charles City Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 170 photos
Nat (b1bob) planned for us to visit famous Colonial Williamsburg on our second day in American soil. First, we went by car to scenic Virginia Route 5 and we visited Berkely plantation - the first plantation I ever visited. Thank you Nat, it was great choice. There are a few other plantations nearby.
The Berkeley Plantation is the place where:
1. The first official Thanksgiving in America took place in 1619.
2. The first bourbon whiskey was distilled in 1621.
3. William Henry Harrison, the ninth president of the USA (1841) was born in 1773. His grandson, Benjamin Harrison was the 23rd President.
4. The first time Army bugle call "Taps" was played in 1862.
Charles City in real is not a city but the county located east of Richmond along the northern bank of an impressive James River. The county has total population of only a little bit over 6,000 and... no city. Instead we saw beautiful fall landcapes with lakes, forests and farmlands. This area looks very similar to where I live in Poland.
On the way to Williamsburg we ate delicious and authentic Southern lunch in Indian Fields Tavern restaurant. The restaurants in Richmond were great but... nothing compared to this one.
- Pros:Historic plantations, pretty nature, delicious southern food
- In a nutshell:Discover the most historic plantations in the USA!
It's more my suggestions for the Berkeley plantation owners than real warning tip. My improving nature, ask the owners... more travel advice
Excuse, I didn't sleep in Charles City but I got to know that 3 of 9 James River Plantations houses bed & breakfast... more travel advice
- Real Virginia cooking
- See All Cats
- See All First whiskey destillery in America
- See All Closed restaurant
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Charles City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of James River plantations"
- "b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA"
- "Plantation Row"
- "Charles City, Virginia..home of plantation 2001"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charles City
- Hotels in Charles City
- Transportation in Charles City
- Nightlife in Charles City
- Restaurants in Charles City
- Shopping in Charles City
- Warnings and Dangers in Charles City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charles City
- 64 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Charles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charles City
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Commented on one of Karnubawax's Charles City travel pages
- updated a Charles City Travel Page "Land of James River plantations"
- Wrote a Review Suggested Improvements in Charles City Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Suggested Improvements"
Photos in Charles CitySee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues