"Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by matcrazy1
Arlington Travel Guide: 483 reviews and 1,161 photos
My best memory from Arlington and Washington, D.C. is time which I spent together with great VT-friends:
- Kathy from Dallas, Texas (Kodi01)
- Kristi from Chicago, Illinois (Dabs)
- Tania from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (skye820),
- Chris from Atlanta, Georgia (balfor)
- Kent from Fairfax, Virginia (Kentbein)
- Nat from Richmond, Virginia (b1bob).
First, it was very moving that these friends came from so far and wide to meet us... Then, they welcomed us on American soil like we were a king and queen or a rock star. We had great time... I'm speechless.. Let's meet again... Welcome to Poland.
Details on our VT-adventures in my Nightlife and General tips and in my travelogues.
For a visitor Arlington is, at first, a place where the famous Pentagon and the Arlington National Cemetery are located; both places provoke to reflection on the past and future. Then it's a place to stay, eat and entertain during a visit to the US capital.
For the locals (almost 200,000), Arlington is a place to live close to US capital and... have a yard. For even more folks it's a place to work. For millions it's a place to commute through.
Arlington County, the City of Alexandria, and Fairfax County (where Mount Vernon is located) form a ring of Northern Virginia suburbs a short distance from Washington, DC. Confused?
At first, looking at often strange boundaries of many US cities, towns and counties I thought that USA was a very chaotic country where over-ambitious local patriots decided to found seperate cities and counties one by one with no particular order. Now, I see that the USA is a country of layered government (local, state, and federal levels). The good thing about that is that the Founding Fathers knew that all the answers did not reside in the halls of the national capitol.
Did you know?
1. Arlington is NOT a district of Washington, DC
2. It's NOT a city, it's an urban county, the smallest in Virginia (only 26 square miles), located directly across the Potomac River from Washington, DC
3. Pentagon is NOT in Washington DC but just in Arlington, Virginia
4. US presidents are mostly NOT buried in Arlington Naional Cemetery, they are buried usually in their hometowns
5. There is NO airport in US capital, there is Ronald Reagan National Airport in Arlington and Dulles International Airport 30 - 45 min. (well, sometimes over 1 hour) westward
6. I never spent as much money during my travels as in Arlington but I saved a lot - a car hire at Dulles was almost 20% more expensive than in Ronald Reagan National Airport
7. The most luxurious hotels during my 30-day trip around the South were in Arlington and were... the cheapest
8. They have no skyscrapers (almost) but houses with yards in Arlington :-)
9. Arlington is more reasonable place to dine and shop than downtown Washington especially for visitors on a budget
10. My VT-friends came to meet my wife and me in Arlington from such distant places as Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas.
- Pros:Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, great place to dine, to meet (VT-meetings) , to shop and to stay during a visit to Washington, DC, lovely neighbourhoods
- Cons:DC traffic in rush hours
- In a nutshell:Discover Washington, DC and Northern Virginia!!!
Excuse, this restaurant, located on the last floor of Hyatt Regency Crystal City hotel, called Chesapeake Grill, was too... more travel advice
CONVENIENT LOCATION Excuse, I didn't stay at Sheraton Crystal City Hotel. I passed by this hotel and took that picture... more travel advice
- See All No jogging, limited riding a bicycle
- See All Books exclusively on women
- See All More attractions at Women's Memorial
- See All Not for kids!
- See All What a meeting!
- See All Flags and the American law (2/2)
- See All Visitors with disabilities
- See All The black squirrel
- See All For night photography
- See All What an unexpected meetting!
- See All Fitness club and fun
Been to Arlington?Share your travels with the world!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Arlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!"
- "b1bob does Arlington"
- "Arlington has a little of Everything"
- "Historic Sites and Good Hotels"
- "A Salute to our Heroes"
- "The Air Force Memorial"
- "Welcome to Arlington National Cemetery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arlington
- Hotels in Arlington
- Transportation in Arlington
- Nightlife in Arlington
- Restaurants in Arlington
- Shopping in Arlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Arlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arlington
- 187 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlington
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- updated a Arlington Travel Page "Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hyatt Regency Crystal City- pictures"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Arlington travel pages
- Wrote a Review General information in Arlington Restaurants
Photos in ArlingtonSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues