"Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by matcrazy1

Arlington Travel Guide: 483 reviews and 1,161 photos

Let's meet again!

My best memory from Arlington and Washington, D.C. is time which I spent together with great VT-friends:
- Kathy from Dallas, Texas (Kodi01)
- Kristi from Chicago, Illinois (Dabs)
- Tania from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (skye820),
- Chris from Atlanta, Georgia (balfor)
- Kent from Fairfax, Virginia (Kentbein)
- Nat from Richmond, Virginia (b1bob).

First, it was very moving that these friends came from so far and wide to meet us... Then, they welcomed us on American soil like we were a king and queen or a rock star. We had great time... I'm speechless.. Let's meet again... Welcome to Poland.

Details on our VT-adventures in my Nightlife and General tips and in my travelogues.

What Arlington is?

For a visitor Arlington is, at first, a place where the famous Pentagon and the Arlington National Cemetery are located; both places provoke to reflection on the past and future. Then it's a place to stay, eat and entertain during a visit to the US capital.

For the locals (almost 200,000), Arlington is a place to live close to US capital and... have a yard. For even more folks it's a place to work. For millions it's a place to commute through.

Arlington's neighbourhoods

Arlington County, the City of Alexandria, and Fairfax County (where Mount Vernon is located) form a ring of Northern Virginia suburbs a short distance from Washington, DC. Confused?

At first, looking at often strange boundaries of many US cities, towns and counties I thought that USA was a very chaotic country where over-ambitious local patriots decided to found seperate cities and counties one by one with no particular order. Now, I see that the USA is a country of layered government (local, state, and federal levels). The good thing about that is that the Founding Fathers knew that all the answers did not reside in the halls of the national capitol.

Did you know?

1. Arlington is NOT a district of Washington, DC

2. It's NOT a city, it's an urban county, the smallest in Virginia (only 26 square miles), located directly across the Potomac River from Washington, DC

3. Pentagon is NOT in Washington DC but just in Arlington, Virginia

4. US presidents are mostly NOT buried in Arlington Naional Cemetery, they are buried usually in their hometowns

5. There is NO airport in US capital, there is Ronald Reagan National Airport in Arlington and Dulles International Airport 30 - 45 min. (well, sometimes over 1 hour) westward

6. I never spent as much money during my travels as in Arlington but I saved a lot - a car hire at Dulles was almost 20% more expensive than in Ronald Reagan National Airport

7. The most luxurious hotels during my 30-day trip around the South were in Arlington and were... the cheapest

8. They have no skyscrapers (almost) but houses with yards in Arlington :-)

9. Arlington is more reasonable place to dine and shop than downtown Washington especially for visitors on a budget

10. My VT-friends came to meet my wife and me in Arlington from such distant places as Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas.

• Pros:Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, great place to dine, to meet (VT-meetings) , to shop and to stay during a visit to Washington, DC, lovely neighbourhoods
  • Cons:DC traffic in rush hours
  • In a nutshell:Discover Washington, DC and Northern Virginia!!!
  • Last visit to Arlington: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2007

• Dec 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM

You are correct about the SRW on my father's headstone. The grave of Gen. Robt. Travis (Travis AFB in CA) is across the street. My father should have been with him when his plane crashed but Travis sent him ahead. He died in a plane crash 8 years later.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Hi Matt, Nice pages again, you do not miss anything, great detail. Our coach tour has a half day at Arlington, looks like not enough time allocated but will see the major sights.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 4:26 AM

A very informative page. I especially found Arlington cemetery very interesting to reading. That is a bummer to arrive here without any luggage.

• tetekung's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 6:42 PM

hahaha really nice friends!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 11:03 AM

Great and fun memories of that first night. I was so glad to find a Pole that you could connect to on some first days of American soil. (especially for Urzsula) :-)

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 8:52 PM

Hey "last minute guy", a very informative page, so many reminders of the past and it left me with a great sense of pride for my country. Thanks.

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 12:22 PM

Great page - I only managed to see a part of it today but 'I'll be back, trust me' ;) The city is very interesting and I admired your impressions. :)

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 3:51 PM

Very interesting to hear about how the communist mass media reported the events of the space shuttle disasters! Arlington Nat'l Cemetery has much more to see than I knew about!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 1:14 AM

great page with so much detail and great writing...thanks

• Feb 25, 2005 at 11:20 AM

I enjoyed your all your activities very much. I'm a American and have been to Arlington but your comments gave me a different view of a American city. Thanks for a great trip review.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Arlington

Have you been to Arlington?

Latest Activity in Arlington