"The Sun City" Top 5 Page for this destination El Paso by matcrazy1
El Paso Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 615 photos
I didn't visit El Paso like typical American visitor driving from one tourist attraction to another (there are over 100 in the area!) but in more European way: walking on foot around downtown. Some skyscrapers of compact downtown reminded me Madrid although the capital of Spain is much larger, jammed with cars, more lively, noisy and polluted, it also offers many more points of tourist interest.
My first impressions from El Paso:
- it's a large city placed on a huge, flat desert area,
- one urban area is divided by the Rio Grande River (Rio Bravo del Norte) into Mexican Ciudad Juarez and US El Paso,
- there are desert, rocky mountains just northwest of the city
- in reality US part of El Paso is large only by area not by population (only 600,000) because people live in thousands ground floor houses with yards which form tenths neibourhoods (each has proper name used by locals)
- large city area is covered by military Fort Bliss.
I also loved a few places around El Paso in Texas and New Mexico (details in off the beaten path tips).
- Pros:It's a city! Some cool destinations around!
- Cons:It's a city! Heat and floodings in summer.
- In a nutshell:Discover Spanish-Mexican city in the USA!
White Sands Missile Range (WSMR), formerly known as the White Sands Proving Grounds, is located in southern New Mexico... more travel advice
This was a blast! If you like caverns it's a must for you. The park contains 113 caves, formed when sulfuric acid... more travel advice
- See All Mexican majority and shopping in...
- Far neighborhoods and summer floodings
- Hot summers, dry area!
- I skipped Fort Bliss and others :-(
- See All El Paso downtown
matcrazy1's Related Pages
El Paso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sun City"
- "Jumping Around El Paso!"
- "El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts"
- "Basaic El Paso Page"
- "El Paso, Texas"
- "El Paso appears not to be Bush country"
- "El Paso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Paso
- Hotels in El Paso
- Transportation in El Paso
- Nightlife in El Paso
- Restaurants in El Paso
- Shopping in El Paso
- Warnings and Dangers in El Paso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Paso
- 23 Reviews
- 158 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to El Paso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Paso
Photos in El PasoSee All Photos (158)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues