"The Sun City" Top 5 Page for this destination El Paso by matcrazy1

El Paso Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 615 photos

Downtown

I didn't visit El Paso like typical American visitor driving from one tourist attraction to another (there are over 100 in the area!) but in more European way: walking on foot around downtown. Some skyscrapers of compact downtown reminded me Madrid although the capital of Spain is much larger, jammed with cars, more lively, noisy and polluted, it also offers many more points of tourist interest.

My first impressions from El Paso:
- it's a large city placed on a huge, flat desert area,
- one urban area is divided by the Rio Grande River (Rio Bravo del Norte) into Mexican Ciudad Juarez and US El Paso,
- there are desert, rocky mountains just northwest of the city
- in reality US part of El Paso is large only by area not by population (only 600,000) because people live in thousands ground floor houses with yards which form tenths neibourhoods (each has proper name used by locals)
- large city area is covered by military Fort Bliss.

I also loved a few places around El Paso in Texas and New Mexico (details in off the beaten path tips).

• Pros:It's a city! Some cool destinations around!
  • Cons:It's a city! Heat and floodings in summer.
  • In a nutshell:Discover Spanish-Mexican city in the USA!
  • Last visit to El Paso: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2007

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

WE passed through ElPaso many yrs. ago as we were transferring to San Diego w/ the military. Stopped to see friends there and remember little more than such hot sun and sand EVERYWHERE! On furniture, floors, in your mouth..ugh! So glad my husband's orders were to California instead.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Hello, Maciek! Thanks for your great page! ><><><><

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I enjoyed reading about El Paso from an outsider(not from USA). Very interesting history of some of the building. I have lived in Texas for 30 yrs but I have never been to that part of the state.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Interesting tips, like on the Creosote Bush. Like Stephen Conn, I have only made one short visit to El Paso up to now. It was hot, and everybody rushed from one air-conditioned place to the next. You certainly saw much more of El Paso than I did!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I always love reading your tips because it's like seeing my country for the first time, unbiased and fresh. Losts of great information, insights, and personal tidbits. A joy to read.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Brilliant page Matt! I hope you will do Big Bend N.P. soon ;)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Hi Matt. As usual an amazingly informative page. If I will ever travel to these places I will bring the 'Matt travel guide'.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 7:01 AM

Excellent page - highly informative. I've only made one 24 hour visit to El Paso. You make me want to go back and see more.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Nice coverage of one of Texas' less well-known cities.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Great job and useful tips for those who are planning to visit this place. Guadalupe Mountains are impressive as well as Carlsbad Caverns. Thanks for virtual travel, Maciek!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in El Paso

Have you been to El Paso?

Latest Activity in El Paso