"Unique city with the largest house in the USA!" Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville by matcrazy1

Asheville Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 980 photos

You will be surprised!

Among numerous cities and towns I visited during my Southern odyssey through 12 states Asheville (pop. 70,000) was the only city of medium size in which I spent more than 1 day. More, having no accommodation for the second night I had to drive to South Carolina to stay there. Despite it I decided to come back the next morning to continue my Asheville adventures. Why?

More than the famous Biltmore Estate!

Well, most people come to Ashville to visit the Biltmore Estate which is a must, more than just the castle and worth the cost. But apart from that I was surprised to discover one of the most unique American cities I ever saw. Asheville offers some artisty flavour of both old and young Europe mixed with both typical southern town and modern American city. Its atmosphere is made by locals, their diversity and friendliness. Asheville seems to be a very friendly and nice place to live. Read my pros below and tips for more details.

• Pros:Unique, very friendly and mixed atmosphere, watching people (hippies, yuppies, punks...); art (Art Deco, music, painting etc.), antiquities, mountains around, good size, friendly locals again, surely Biltmore Estate
  • Cons:NO VACANCY!
  • In a nutshell:Discover still a bit hidden little pearl! Meet a friend!
  • Last visit to Asheville: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2007

• Apr 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Nice one dude, thanks for sharing with us

• Dec 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Unfortunately, this restaurant is now closed. Wish it were open, as the one at this location now is the pits!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM

You have done an excellent presentation of Asheville-and I say you know the history far more than most locals. Great comments also.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2007 at 7:48 AM

We have thought about visiting The Biltmore Estate at Christmas, but have never done it. I'm sure it would be beautiful! Your page on Asheville was superb, Matt. Such attention to detail--I felt as though I was touring along with you...take care.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Biltmore Italian garden is still neglected in 2007 as you saw in 2004 as actually overall garden. Great tips on Biltmore. Thanks.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I'm glad you had more time to spend in Asheville than I did. It looks like you captured the hippie culture of downtown as well as the Biltmore Estate.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 10:28 AM

EXCELLENT page on Asheville, my home for four years, but you even showed me a couple of things I didn't know. Asheville is definitely one of my favorite American cities.

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Root beer is wonderful!!! A rootbeer float which has ice cream in it is even better. Or you can order a brown cow which is a rootbeer float with chocolate ice cream. you must try it sometime!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 5:56 AM

So you fell in love with the southern hospitality here in Asheville? The Biltmore Estate is lovely. I enjoyed seeing all of your pictures.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 8:05 AM

I love it, I love it, I love it... Thanks for this fantastic introduction to the States, Matt. Totally unknown for me but you just opened my appetite. Wonderful pictures of the Biltmore House and incredibly interesting information.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Asheville

Have you been to Asheville?

Latest Activity in Asheville