"United States Navy Memorial" United States Navy Memorial by matcrazy1
United States Navy Memorial Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 50 photos
United States Navy Memorial is located in downtown Washington, DC. So, I am a little bit surprised to find it as a seperate location in VT-base. Anyway, it gives me more place to share my adventures from the US capital :-).
I had a great pleasure to see the memorial and this statue of the Lone Sailor together with my wife and the two VT-friends:
- Kathy from Dallas, Texas (Kodi01)
- Chris from Atlanta, Georgia (balfor)
The memorial reminded me my own military experiences. I have a lot of warm feelings and sympathy for people in military uniforms unless they are forced to serve in an army which is out of control of the nation, like it worked in my case.
Well, my two months in Soviet-style "Polish" army in late 1980' was a waste of time. I've learned that nothing worked well in that strange army especially minds of higher rank officers :-). I am sure it has changed since Poland regained independance and became NATO member in 1999.
The Warsaw Pact army taught us mainly how to march, mostly unsuccesfully as we didn't like to march again and again. The soldier's low morale was caused by the simple fact that no-one treated this Warsaw Pact army as the one of own country. Maybe that's why our officers had orders to teach us marching instead of shooting.
About 120 soldiers in my army unit including me were forced to take an oath of allegiance to "socialist Poland" and swear to defend it against "imperialistic rulers" or something those lines. But during the very solemn ceremony, in front of many guests including one general, when the officer had read the words of the oath about "standing strongly to defend peace in brotherly ally with the Soviet Army" no-one repeated his words. This silence followed by happy laugh of our families is my foundest memory.
The next day the political officers of our unit ordered each of us to sign the words of oath. At first we refused although they asked us very much. Finally one of them proposed and asked us to sign it one for another. And we did so. Soon later the text of oath was totally changed.
- Pros:Location in downtown Washington, DC
- In a nutshell:Go to see it!
US Navy Memorial is located in Pennsylvania Ave., downtown Washington, DC, north of the Mall, behind large classical... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
United States Navy Memorial Travel Guide
- Things to Do in United States Navy Memorial
- Transportation in United States Navy Memorial
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States Navy Memorial
- 2 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to United States Navy Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States Navy Memorial
Photos in United States Navy MemorialSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues