"Charming, picturesque and upclass neighbourhood" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown by matcrazy1

Georgetown Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 240 photos

Older than Washington, DC

Georgetown is a charming, picturesque and upclass neighbourhood of Washington DC, northwest of downtown, right by the Potomac River. Georgetown named in honor of British King George II, was officially formed in 1751, 39 years before Washington DC. It's unique space for fans of colonial architecture, shopping (or window shopping), fans of watching people and residencies of those rich and (un)famous.

Shopping, eating out and night photography

Georgetown is my recommendation for fans of evening window shopping (or shopping if your bank can afford it), watching people or romantic dining in charming restaurants (keep your card ready). For fans of night photography of architecture as well. For fans of clubbing, discos and pubs hmm... not the best choice at least on business days where they close mostly early (before or at 10.00 pm.).

In front of a local house :-)

• Pros:Colonial architecture, shopping, watching people
  • Cons:Expensive space, no metro
  • In a nutshell:Discover charming, picturesque and upclass neighbourhood!
  • Last visit to Georgetown: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2006

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Matt, Hi, How are you. I have commented on the Mexican restaurant before, but I am rereading it and I am shocked about the mandatory 18% tip. I have never heard of this in the US except for large groups.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Great tips on your thoughts of wandering the back-streets of Washington! It is always good to see renovated older areas like Georgetown and Foggy Bottom! I missed this entire area during my one brief trip to the city many years ago.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I missed the Georgetown neighborhood on my last trip but was there in the early 1990s. It's a lovely section of DC, thanks for sharing :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 10:00 PM

As I am just back from a trip in one of your California pages, strolling across this one reminds well how different are the East coast from the West coast! Almost another country!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Excellent tips, Matt! Looks like a real nice place to visit! Thanks for the comment on my Khabarovsk page!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Excellent page, Matt. Now I'm sory I didn't visit Georgetown as well.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 3:28 PM

Glad you enjoyed Barnes & Noble so much. My choice is Borders Books Stores...both good. Cheaper to use Amazon.com however. Laughing about Banana Republic. clothes used to reflect your impressions of the name..store bought out...image upscale. :-(

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 8:34 AM

Wow, Maciek - feels like I stuck gold here! I here during those tulmultous '60's so your photos bring back many memories. Will return to tour with you. Ciao, Carol

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Your tips are helpful - I will be in Georgetown in June.

• mikorz's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 6:58 PM

Nice pictures and tips about Georgetown. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I ate at a place called "Clydes". It was very good.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

Have you been to Georgetown?