"Green village and impressive cathedral!" Cleveland Park by matcrazy1
Cleveland Park Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 80 photos
Cleveland Park is an affluent residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant Washington, DC. First of all, the neighborhood is known for the Washington National Cathedral (heart of the sub-neighborhhood of Cathedral Heights), then for its many late 19th century homes. I have found Cleveland Park a very pretty, green space full of upclass houses, peace and quiet.
I decided to visit Washington National Cathedral as soon as I had seen it from a roof terrace of Sheraton National Hotel in Arlington, Virginia, I stayed in. The huge building stands on the top of the mount St. Alban northwest of downtown and dominates the skyline.
The National Cathedral really impressed me. What was I amazed by?
1. The location on the top of a green hill covered by gardens, forests, parks and pretty residential houses (hmm... it's an expensive neighbourhood, I guess).
2. Huge size of the sixth largest world's cathedral. The main nave is 180 m (591 ft !) long.
3. Amazing Gothic style of the edifice built of sandstone from Indiana, with towers once hidding behind once breaking through thick fog. The exterior and underground interiors reminds old English or Scottish castles I have watched on Travel Channel.
3. Mysterious, vast interiors and suprisingly huge (it's the USA!) underground chapels linked up with a tangle of narrow corridors.
- Pros:Washington National Cathedral, peace and quiet, pretty houses
- Cons:Shortage of parking space
- In a nutshell:Discover temple of US history
If you you want to walk downhill and back up squeeze your luggage to minimum especially when you unluckily weigh some... more travel advice
There were some places to park a car very close to the cathedral edifice but they were decorated with those signs with a... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Cleveland Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Cleveland Park
- Transportation in Cleveland Park
- Shopping in Cleveland Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Cleveland Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cleveland Park
- 40 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Cleveland Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cleveland Park
Photos in Cleveland ParkSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues