"Green village and impressive cathedral!" Cleveland Park by matcrazy1

Cleveland Park Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 80 photos

Cleveland Park is an affluent residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant Washington, DC. First of all, the neighborhood is known for the Washington National Cathedral (heart of the sub-neighborhhood of Cathedral Heights), then for its many late 19th century homes. I have found Cleveland Park a very pretty, green space full of upclass houses, peace and quiet.

I decided to visit Washington National Cathedral as soon as I had seen it from a roof terrace of Sheraton National Hotel in Arlington, Virginia, I stayed in. The huge building stands on the top of the mount St. Alban northwest of downtown and dominates the skyline.

The National Cathedral really impressed me. What was I amazed by?

1. The location on the top of a green hill covered by gardens, forests, parks and pretty residential houses (hmm... it's an expensive neighbourhood, I guess).

2. Huge size of the sixth largest world's cathedral. The main nave is 180 m (591 ft !) long.

3. Amazing Gothic style of the edifice built of sandstone from Indiana, with towers once hidding behind once breaking through thick fog. The exterior and underground interiors reminds old English or Scottish castles I have watched on Travel Channel.

3. Mysterious, vast interiors and suprisingly huge (it's the USA!) underground chapels linked up with a tangle of narrow corridors.

• Pros:Washington National Cathedral, peace and quiet, pretty houses
  • Cons:Shortage of parking space
  • In a nutshell:Discover temple of US history
  • Last visit to Cleveland Park: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2006

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Matt, You're very funny. I love your description of the toilet paper and your comment about fog and Foggy Bottom.

• Polskigirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I liked so much this page . Didnt you know what guava its???? Tropical Fruit!!! Yummy in juices or jelly. Will send you a Pic. Hugs for both.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 11:44 AM

WOW, lots of interesting information here! I'm sorry I didn't get to go inside, it was closed on the day Kent took us over there :-(

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Great informative page Matt! Washington National Cathedral looks really impressive, and I'm surprised I didn't know of this building before.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 1:57 PM

Like all your pages Matt,you give such fantastic information and after reading this i wanna go here even more.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 8:02 PM

Matt, what a "monumental" task you have completed. Impressive, informative, and most interesting. Even though I've seen it personally, I learned a great deal from your wonderful tips.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 8:30 AM

Wow, you wrote a great page on a huge cathedral! BTW, I am surprised that such a huge thing is only the sixth largest in the world! Where are the larger ones? Impressive building but … may be "too much" would be my feeling.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Impressive church. However, I am always amused to see such *monumental* architecture used for *national* symbols :-) I liked the park-like neighbourhood pictures most! LOL

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 8:45 AM

This is the #1 source on the internet for info/pics of the National Cathedral. Also some great links. Incredible and funny too (I'm no bird expert either, except roasted chicken!).

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Matt, as usual you amaze me with the wealth of information in your tips, the many links and great pictures !

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Cleveland Park

Have you been to Cleveland Park?

Latest Activity in Cleveland Park