"Upscale beach town - a must see!" Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar by matcrazy1

Del Mar Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 241 photos

Cool beach and amazing parks

Driving from San Diego north to Oceanside to my first large VT-meeting Linda (lmkluque) decided to show me Del Mar - and it was the best choice! Del Mar looks very, very beautiful - a must see in Southern California!

The City of Del Mar is two square miles of coastal land with a population of about 5000. The main attraction of visitors is still the beach and sunny weather.
Of course, the annual Del Mar Fair and the well-known Del Mar Racetrack bring in people from the surrounding area and beyond.

But I discovered one more "attraction" there: local city law hehe. It inspired me to ask a question in the VT Travel Forum:
click here
Hehe, don't waste your time (192 replies) although you can find there some brilliant examples of REAL funny law like for example:

In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
:-))))
In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.
:-))))
In Switzerland it is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 P.M. if you live in an apartment.
:-))))

Take it easy, keep smiling and... go to discover how it works in Del Mar :-)).

Would you like to see Del Mar just now?

Del Mar Beach Cam:
click here

And what? Do you like there? :-)))

Do you need more info?

Official City of Del Mar webpage:
click here

• Pros:Beautiful location, beach, recreational areas, racetrack.
  • Cons:A lot of bans (by local law) + much $$$ needed there (for longer stay!)
  • In a nutshell:A must see Pacific resort!
  • Last visit to Del Mar: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2003

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Del Mar looks like a nice place to spend a day in, walking around and being on the beach.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Wonderful pictures of Del Mar. The beach looks great and I'm sure it's a lovely place for the summer holiday.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 5:09 AM

This is a very nice area and you got some great pictures.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Wow, there seem to be many tight regulations in Del Mar, especially on the beach! I have not been often on beaches in California but I do not remember of such rules north to San Francisco!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 2:26 AM

Though not a beach person, I enjoyed reading your page very much. I think I understand the restrictions introduced in Del Mar. We don't go on the beach to breathe in smoke from somebody's fire or to have our children play in dog's 'poop'.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 1:37 AM

another great read! thanks

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 12:42 PM

What a fun page to read, Matt. It points out so many of differences between USA & Europe. But, most US beaches do not have so many rules, but to protect the beauty, this city has decided to enforce the rules. Some great information and I'm still smiling.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 11:56 AM

Del Mar might be beautiful but it sounds a little snooty to me! And not close enough to LA for me to go there.....

• brendagiguere's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 6:09 AM

Fun to read your Del Mar page. I live 3 miles from Del Mar and I'm embarassed to say I keep forgetting to go there. LOL! I think I'll go this morning and get some exercise. Thanks! :) brenda g.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 6:01 AM

Del Mar is beautiful. The coastline is stunning, isn't it?

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Del Mar

Have you been to Del Mar?

Latest Activity in Del Mar