"History, desert, heat and Indians!" Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma by matcrazy1

Yuma Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 428 photos

Quite interesting destination

I found Yuma quite interesting destination altough I visited it only because it was on my itinery and I slept there.
To be honest, Yuma was less interesting than most other places I visited before and later in the USA. Anyway, don't skip Yuma whenever you drive in the area.

Interesting facts

Yuma:
- is a winter-visitor capitol of North America with nearly 85,000 winter-visitors making Yuma their annual winter residence,
- grew by almost 36% between 1990 and 2000,
- is located in the desert, close to Algodones Dunes (in California),
- is located almost at the inter-state border with California and international border with Mexico,
- is located by Colorado River (border with California),
- is located close to Indian Reservations,
- is an agriculture, tourism and military (Marine Corps Air Station and Yuma Proving Ground) center.

My first motel in the USA

I slept in Yuma Inn Motel which was my first motel accommodation in the USA.

• Pros:Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park, warm weather in winter
  • Cons:Too hot May-October
  • In a nutshell:Winter-visitor capitol of North America!
  • Last visit to Yuma: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2003

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

YOur pictures and comments on the prison was very interesting

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 8:44 AM

I must have passed Yuma, driving from Florence to San Diego but did not stop. Too bad I have not visited this prison. Thank you for sharing your cell! The name of Yuma reminds me the excellent Johnny Cash' song "Johnny Yuma"

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Great page Matt. I'll be in Arizona in May, but the southeast part, far from Yuma.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 4:44 PM

good page Matt Yes very good info for future travelers to Yuma

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 1:29 PM

We have never visited Yuma. Your photos and descriptions make the prison sound like an interesting place to visit.

• Jul 14, 2004 at 1:26 PM

Hello! Look man Im looking for a house right now and for what I've seen in ur website this place doesnt really look that interesting but what do you think is this City worth living in? email me dopey061786@yahoo.com

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 3:44 AM

AMAZING pages here ~ filled with lots & lots of very helpful information and great pictures. Ursula sandwiches reads YUMMY !! :-) Thanks for sharing, Matt !

• Nov 10, 2003 at 4:12 PM

In case you're still wondering, I believe the flowers are bougainvilleas.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2003 at 7:50 AM

Matt, they had you in their clutches and in a cell, but let you go? Didn't they realize you were the ruffian known as matcrazy1?

• nicoleken's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2003 at 2:51 AM

Very interesting and beautiful page ! very good photos !

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Yuma