Tubac Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1
Tubac Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 5 photos
I-19: NOGALES - TUMACACORI - TUBAC
I always feel very uncomfortable when I get to know that I skipped something very unique or interesting on my way especially when I travel very far from my home. Due to lack of both time and information it happened to me in Tubac. I didn't visit Tubac Cemetery located at northeastern end of the community.
But first of all I skipped Tumacacori National Historical Park that is located at exit 29 of I-19 that is only 5 miles south of Tubac (exit 34). It’s the site of a Franciscan mission built in 1795 that was regularly besieged by the Apache Indians. The park is open 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily, except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The entrance fee is $3.00 per person.
I have also never heard of Titan Missile Museum 35 miles north of Tubac (exit 69 off I-10 to W. Duval Mine Rd in Sahuarita). It's the only publicly accessible Titan II missile site in the USA, a base restored from the Cold War times: a museum + one hour guided tour including a simulated launch of the missile at the launch control center ($17.95 per person).
Unique Suggestions: Well, you may visit only ruins of the Franciscan church at Mission San Jose de Tumacacori. The ruins of the two other nearby missions can be visited only as part of a reserved ranger guided tour during the fall and winter months. So, mayve I didn't loose that much.
Fun Alternatives: Keep smiling and drive to Tombstone and Bisbee as I did. It's a fascinating drive with great places to visit on the way. Or don't follow me and visit the above mentioned sights I skipped.
More Reviews (52)
- Silver-turquoise ring
- See All FAQs and warnings on shopping
- See All Simple and inexpensive pottery
- See All Kartchner Caverns State Park
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tubac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Art and history under the southern sun :-)"
- "Visit Historic and Artful Tubac"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tubac
- Transportation in Tubac
- Restaurants in Tubac
- Shopping in Tubac
- Warnings and Dangers in Tubac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tubac
- 53 Reviews
- 308 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Tubac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tubac
Photos in TubacSee All Photos (308)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues