Tubac Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1

Tubac Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 5 photos

I-19: NOGALES - TUMACACORI - TUBAC - Tubac

I-19: NOGALES - TUMACACORI - TUBAC

Lack of time and information

I always feel very uncomfortable when I get to know that I skipped something very unique or interesting on my way especially when I travel very far from my home. Due to lack of both time and information it happened to me in Tubac. I didn't visit Tubac Cemetery located at northeastern end of the community.

But first of all I skipped Tumacacori National Historical Park that is located at exit 29 of I-19 that is only 5 miles south of Tubac (exit 34). It’s
the site of a Franciscan mission built in 1795 that was regularly besieged by the Apache Indians. The park is open 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily, except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The entrance fee is $3.00 per person.

I have also never heard of Titan Missile Museum 35 miles north of Tubac (exit 69 off I-10 to W. Duval Mine Rd in Sahuarita). It's
the only publicly accessible Titan II missile site in the USA, a base restored from the Cold War times: a museum + one hour guided tour including a simulated launch of the missile at the launch control center ($17.95 per person).

Unique Suggestions: Well, you may visit only ruins of the Franciscan church at Mission San Jose de Tumacacori. The ruins of the two other nearby missions can be visited only as part of a reserved ranger guided tour during the fall and winter months. So, mayve I didn't loose that much.

Fun Alternatives: Keep smiling and drive to Tombstone and Bisbee as I did. It's a fascinating drive with great places to visit on the way. Or don't follow me and visit the above mentioned sights I skipped.

• Updated Feb 18, 2007

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Tubac