"Art and history under the southern sun :-)" Tubac by matcrazy1

Tubac Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 339 photos

Art colony

Tubac was a total surprise for me: an unique, empty, lazy place located nowhere but full of both fascinating history and Native American, Spanish, Mexican and Anglo-American art, including some art I liked a lot. Tubac was the first European settlement in Arizona and once was the largest city in the state.

First European settlement in Arizona (1752)

Apart from shopping and art watching, there is an interesting parish church and the Tubac Presidio State Historic Park to see in Tubac.

• Pros:History, architecture, shopping, Native American, Anglo-American, Spanish and Mexican art, sun
  • Cons:Far destination, $$$$$ for shopping :-)
  • In a nutshell:Escape to artists' colony nowhere!
  • Last visit to Tubac: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2007

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 8:06 AM

I stopped by Tubac in the evening to take some pictures, but most of the stores were closed at that time.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 6:03 PM

great page Matt!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Too bad I had to skip the very south of Arizona and Tubac! Great page and interesting information about type 2 diabete and Pima Indians!

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Yep, you are right, mostly made in mexico, imported to the Us to sell.. but it is a shock when you find mexican pottery with a seal stating it was MADE IN CHINA.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the historical and other information on this amazing little town! It reminded me of the 'hippy' town of Madrid I drove through a few years ago near Albuquerque. Interesting to find out more on Chipotle chili pepper - I use it for my BBQ sauce!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Such a wonderful array of art and history = I love wind chimes in my garden too but metal ones might sound different - enjoyable read!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Another type of page which I haven't seen yet on VT! I can't say I'm a fan of such sort of art but something looked amusing... May be my wife would be more interested if she happened to be there? Great work, Maciek!

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 2:39 PM

That's what I would call an interesting place to visit. I'm sure the Pear Cactus Jelly was delicious. I've tried something similar in Malta. Great page, Maciek.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 4:31 AM

Second pass through was as interesting as the first. You found a sweet town there. Ursula's ring was a great choice. I love turquoise jewelry.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Matt, this is very cruel - how can you make me so homesick with all this marvellous Native American art ? I want to hop into a plane and shop until I drop :-)) I also liked Kokopelli a lot and ahh, this silver jewellery :-))

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Tubac