Tombstone Transportation Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Tombstone Transportation: 6 reviews and 13 photos
ALLEN STREET, TOMBSTONE
Tombstone is a little town (population 1,550) easy to walk around. The main streets are below 1 mile (1.6 km) long but the most atractive part of city (Tombstone Historic District) covers less than half of that.
Tombstone receives approximately 450,000 tourist visitors each year. So, I was surprised that I so easily found a place on a street to park my car, right on main street called Allen Street (on business day in April). It may work worse other time though. I was also surprised that there were no parkometers and no parking fees there.
Route 80 (Fremont Street - no parking or limited parking there) crosses Tomstone's center but the most interesting is the first paralel street southwards called Allen Street. Driving southwards when I saw O.K. Corral advertesiment (photo 3) I turned right to 4th St. and again first right to Allen Street where I parked (photo 4). Map: follow the link below.
ROUTE 80 TOMBSTONE-BISBEE
You must have a car to get to Tombstone which is located in southeastern Arizona, 49 miles (79 km) northwest of Mexican border at Douglas and 24 miles (39 km) south of I-10 (exit 303 at Benson). I drove Route 82 from Nogales via Patagonia and took Route 80 (Benson - Douglas) South to Tombstone and then I drove it futher down to Bisbee and Douglas.
At that sunny Thursday afternoon the traffic was light, so driving was comfortable and fast. Cruise control was very useful for me. Although you may easily and safely drive faster on almost empty highway, my recommendation is to follow local drivers and not to exceed the speed limit given on a sign by more than 5 miles per hour. State police and speed control by aircraft may give you inconveniences.
Enlarge my maps (picture 2-4) to see my itinerary through the Southwest and southeastern Arizona. Legend:
8 - Tucson
9 - Tubac
10 - Nogales
11 - Patagonia
12 - Tombstone
13 - Bisbee
14 - Douglas
15 - state line Arizona-New Mexico
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (42)
- See All The Mule Mountains and mule deer :-)
- Lack of time
- See All Vigilante justice then, perfomances now
- See All Sheriff and live show
- Big Nose Kate's Live Western Music
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tombstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legend of American Old West"
- "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
- "Jumping Around Tombstone!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tombstone
- Hotels in Tombstone
- Transportation in Tombstone
- Nightlife in Tombstone
- Restaurants in Tombstone
- Shopping in Tombstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Tombstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tombstone
- 44 Reviews
- 263 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Tombstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tombstone
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- Uploaded a Photo to "At an elevation of 4,540 ft (1380 m)"
- updated a Tombstone Travel Page "Legend of American Old West"
- Wrote a Review The Mule Mountains and mule deer :-) in Tombstone Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Stephen-KarenConn's Tombstone travel pages
Photos in TombstoneSee All Photos (263)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues