"Legend of American Old West" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by matcrazy1
Tombstone Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 711 photos
Tombstone was founded in 1879 in what was then the Arizona Territory of the USA. It soon became a boomtown of silver mines, high-paying jobs, also of lawlessness, violence and vigilante justice, a city lager than San Francisco for a short time. But it has become most famous for 1881 O.K. Corral gunfight portrayed in many Western movies.
Tombstone has become a legend of the American Old West. Now, preserved and restored little town wants to be a living testament to the Old West. And despite some kitchy "tourist attractions" it is! It's a place to visit once for sure!
I liked preserved and restored architecture of the main Allen Street as well as interiors and lively atmosphere of Tombstone's saloons. I also liked some unique shops in style of the American Old West. Urszula - my wife - liked a few young and handsome cowboys walking in town. But I liked more fast changing scenery south of Tombstone on the way to Bisbee (see my off the beaten path tips). Both Tombstone itself and the Mule Mountains had to remain me Western movies "Bonanza" and "Winnetou", I used to watch on TV as a kid :-).
- Pros:Architecture, saloons, some shops, mountains and deserts around, handsome cowboys
- Cons:Some kitchy "tourist attractions", handsome cowboys
- In a nutshell:Discover the American Old West
After going along hills of smooth slopes, Arizona State Highway 80 (Tombstone -Bisbee) close to Bisbee has entered a... more travel advice
Driving from Tombstone to Bisbee (only 24 miles = 39 km) I could easily notice diversity of landscapes. It's said that ... more travel advice
- Lack of time
- See All Vigilante justice then, perfomances now
- See All Sheriff and live show
- Big Nose Kate's Live Western Music
- See All The largest beer in the Wild West
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tombstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legend of American Old West"
- "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
- "Jumping Around Tombstone!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tombstone
- Hotels in Tombstone
- Transportation in Tombstone
- Nightlife in Tombstone
- Restaurants in Tombstone
- Shopping in Tombstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Tombstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tombstone
- 44 Reviews
- 263 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Tombstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tombstone
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- Uploaded a Photo to "At an elevation of 4,540 ft (1380 m)"
- updated a Tombstone Travel Page "Legend of American Old West"
- Wrote a Review The Mule Mountains and mule deer :-) in Tombstone Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Stephen-KarenConn's Tombstone travel pages
Photos in TombstoneSee All Photos (263)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues