"Legend of American Old West" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by matcrazy1

Tombstone Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 717 photos

Boomtown of the Wild West

Tombstone was founded in 1879 in what was then the Arizona Territory of the USA. It soon became a boomtown of silver mines, high-paying jobs, also of lawlessness, violence and vigilante justice, a city lager than San Francisco for a short time. But it has become most famous for 1881 O.K. Corral gunfight portrayed in many Western movies.

A place to visit once!

Tombstone has become a legend of the American Old West. Now, preserved and restored little town wants to be a living testament to the Old West. And despite some kitchy "tourist attractions" it is! It's a place to visit once for sure!

What I liked most

I liked preserved and restored architecture of the main Allen Street as well as interiors and lively atmosphere of Tombstone's saloons. I also liked some unique shops in style of the American Old West. Urszula - my wife - liked a few young and handsome cowboys walking in town. But I liked more fast changing scenery south of Tombstone on the way to Bisbee (see my off the beaten path tips). Both Tombstone itself and the Mule Mountains had to remain me Western movies "Bonanza" and "Winnetou", I used to watch on TV as a kid :-).

• Pros:Architecture, saloons, some shops, mountains and deserts around, handsome cowboys
  • Cons:Some kitchy "tourist attractions", handsome cowboys
  • In a nutshell:Discover the American Old West
  • Last visit to Tombstone: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 27, 2007

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM

The tip which says, "Nowadays all historic streets of Tombstobe are asphalted," is wrong--the main historic street is not asphalted and quite a few others aren't as well--they're dirt roads. Great pics--I loved Tombstone!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 3:10 AM

Great tips and stories! I enjoyed it very much!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Great Page!! I live near Tombstone and enjoy going there on occasion. Thanks for posting this.

• Jul 12, 2007 at 7:24 AM

Way off topic, but..... THE best gunfight in a movie is in "Open Range" - Kevin Costner again. I agree about "Wyatt Earp" - a shocker!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Every time I've been to southeast Arizona I wanted to visit Tombstone, but I never seemed to have the time. Looks like a worthwhile place to visit, especially for those interested in the Old West.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 10:08 PM

A fascinating page! It reminds me of Johnny Cash's "The Ballad Of Ira Hayes", From the land of the Pima Indians etc… I love that song!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM

What a town :-)) It looks like fun and tourist trap in one - but cutely done :-)) I like these stained glass .. photos or windows and ahh, smoking permitted ? Wow, this cannot have been US :-) Morning smiles from here :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Yes, it does look rather kitschy. But interesting, nonetheless. Informative and well-written tips as always.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Another fantastic page Matt!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 6:54 AM

I always loved those old wooden sidewalks. Hope it was original and not "re-created". Ever notice we're all fascinated by stagecoaches in American west and horse & carriage in European plazas? Contrast to Krakow's Cloth Market Square.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Tombstone

Have you been to Tombstone?