"It's a desert jungle :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Saguaro National Park by matcrazy1

Saguaro National Park Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 556 photos

Welcome to world's cacti kingdom!

Saguaro National Park was the first of many National Parks I visited during my 38 days in the USA and it was a blast! It's a desert but in contrast to sandy Sahara, it's rather desert jungle full of life!

It's an under-rated must see in Arizona, I think. Why? Haha, there are over 100 reasons, just a few attractions:
- eating cacti in new Cactus Restaurant (50% off for VT members and everything FREE in rainy/snowy days :-)
- the world's largest number of cacti species,
- the world's oldest living thing (12,000 years!)
- 4-story tall saguaro cacti,
- the most drought tolerant plant (2 years with NO water).

They are blooming :-)

Cacti bloom mainly in May and July but some species used to bloom just in the middle of April when I was lucky to be there.

My itinerary

Look at the map of my itinerary in southern Arizona:
1 - Yuma - click here
2 - Tacna - click here
3 - Stanfield - click here
4 - Marana - click here

5 - Saguaro National Park
6 - Tucson - click here
7 - Nogales (sleeping :-) - click here

Wow, it was really busy day, better reserve at least 2 days for this itinerary if you want to survive and to visit more especially :-)

• Pros:Cacti, strange plants and rare animals, restaurant :-)
  • Cons:Heat (May - October)
  • In a nutshell:Welcome to desert jungle!
  • Last visit to Saguaro National Park: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2003

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Once, a long, long, long time ago when I was a student at the U of A in Tucson, I drove the roads of the Saguaro National Park and it was lonely, so I drove the straightaways at 120 mph. Now, that was not MatCrazy but just plain crazy. Today, I could do maybe 165 mph, lol. ;-)

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Approval signed! I'll grant you the loan for the restaurant :) Great page, Maciek. Thanks for the interesting information about the cacti. I'd love to visit the park.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 4:38 AM

A great place for studying the lives and habits of the numerous kinds of cacti. Not that I would be particularly keen on touching them after reading your warning tips. Wonderful page with many useful tips.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 11:01 AM

I'll put this park on my trip programme in Arizona and Utah. It is very interesting!!! Very good photos of cacti

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 11:48 PM

What a lovely tribute to these special cacti out there :-)) I was there as well and loved it ! And I like your idea with the restaurant :-))

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 9:55 PM

The dolls look like copies for tourist of traditionnal Kashina dolls used for religious purposes. I am not convinced for the most drought tolerant, neither the oldest plant, haha! They always like to have world records!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 5:01 AM

Comprehensive page on the park Matt. I may be out that aways this Spring.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 8:05 PM

Isn't this place amazing? How lucky you are to be able to see such a beautiful wonder up close. Gosh, this is a great page and I throughly enjoyed it! Thanks!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 4:29 PM

This was like taking a Botany class in college & learning everything about cactus. Lots of grand tips for people who visit our National parks. I agree about all the hidden fees when renting cars . Like your little bits of humor here and there, too.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 10:23 AM

A great page! I'm a big cactus fan - it's a real treat to see them in bloom : ) Absolutely amazing about how old those creosote bushes are!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Saguaro National Park

Have you been to Saguaro National Park?

Latest Activity in Saguaro National Park