"Sleepy border town" Nogales by matcrazy1

Nogales Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 77 photos

Free internet

To be honest sleepy border town of Nogales was not a very interesting for me but it was on my itinerary. I visited old historic downtown, used free internet in a library and I slept there (in a motel, not in the library :-).

It's a border town located on USA-Mexico border. There is Mexican Nogales across the border you can visit to shop and enjoy delicious Mexican food at reasonable prices. By the way did you know that "Nogales" is the Spanish word for "walnuts"? I didn't know it and I didn't see any walnuts there :-).

My accommodation

I was so tired that I chose the first accommodation I found in Nogales and it was Motel 6.

Nogales

Driving around old historic downtown do not miss Sacred Heart Church completed in 1928 - on the right on my picture.

• Pros:Mexican Nogales to do shopping and to eat just across the border, architecture, accommodations
  • Cons:Heat in summer
  • In a nutshell:Visit twin city: Mexican and USA Nogales :-)
  • Last visit to Nogales: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2003

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 9:33 AM

I've passed through Nogales many times when I've been in southern Arizona. But I never stopped, because it looks like there's not a lot to see there.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 9:55 AM

I only saw Nogales from the Mexican side. It's very interesting to read your perspectives from north of the border. Good page.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 8:50 PM

I bet the car will get pretty hot under the shade of a Sagaro! Sunscreens inside the car will not really prevent it from getting hot but the steering wheel from burning your hands! Disney stole Cinderella as many other European born characters!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 8:07 AM

Found your insights on Nogales quite interesting. It does not seem like a place that I would want to visit, but it is typical of border towns in the USA....only this one seems less violent than some.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 7:25 PM

Well done Mat. It's these sleepy little towns that established stepping stones for future citizens!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 7:10 PM

You have the ability to say a lot about a place that seems to have so little be said about it , Matt. You are as bad as me! Great work. I may get to put some of this to use this summer...ugh..the heat! Wayne

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 5:51 AM

With a name like that and no walnuts? :-) Such easy access to Mexico. Some interesting old architecture in this town. Good warnings.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 5:50 AM

A great overview of typical life in a small American border town! It was interesting to read your take on it from a European point of view! I had to laugh about 'Motel 41.99' ! Your Krakow library experience was very interesting!!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2004 at 3:33 PM

Well, I haven't been to Nogales in years and years and I wanted to see what you had to say about it. Sounds like you felt about the same way I did when I was there. Still you managed to pack a lot of information into your pages on this little town.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2003 at 1:17 PM

Great details as always and great photos!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Nogales

Have you been to Nogales?

Latest Activity in Nogales