"Another world hidden in a canyon" Top 5 Page for this destination Bisbee by matcrazy1

Bisbee Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 365 photos

Slow down, take time to smell roses

I should be disappointed about Bisbee. Because I arrived late, I couldn't see much. See further details in my Genaral Tip. But, despite some inconveniences, I really enjoyed my short time in Bisbee. It was surely more authentic than Tombstone. I liked its old charm, Victorian architecture, red rocks around, peace and quiet and its relaxed lifestyle. It is surely a different world from what many foreigners imagine the USA to be.

From mining to tourism and art

Bisbee was founded as a copper, gold, and silver mining town in 1880. It was one of the largest mining towns and the largest city between San Francisco and Saint Louis and was known for such bawdy locales as Brewery Gulch, then a stretch of rowdy saloons. Today, Bisbee is known for its stunning Victorian architecture, mild year-round climate and abundance of galleries and one-of-a-kind shops.

• Pros:Mule Mountains, architecture, people, slow lifestyle, shopping, art watching
  • Cons:Driving, parking and short opening hours
  • In a nutshell:SEE IT PERSONALLY!
  • Last visit to Bisbee: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2007

• Apr 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM

The people who live in Warren might be surprised to hear that Warren is "mostly" a ghost town now.

• kinjockity's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

3 Canyons Transit Co. now offers daily shuttle service from the Tucson Airport to Tombstone and Bisbee! Visit them on-line at: www.arizonasunshinetours.com (click on the GO! Shuttle page) Call 520.803.6713 for reservations.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I absolutely love this page Mat. Bisbee is on my list of places to see. I so enjoy places like this because it ooozes with history. Yeah, these little towns were not designed for cars, too bad we are not still using horse and buggies. Thanks for sharing.!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Excellent comprehensive tips. I like the way you find little out-of-the-way towns and build great pages for them.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Very interesting and well-researched tips on this town that I have never even heard of (though I'm American) and will surely never visit because of the lack of public transportation. I liked your Smithsonian and library tips especially.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Great detailed page Matt about this (for me) totally off the beaten path place. Hahaha, I love their sense of humour though, lol, the name "time tunnel" is great :-)))) Sorry you weren't able to make that great detour towards Mexico :-(

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Matt, I have never heard of Bisbee before, but it seems to be a nice place to slow down and take the time to smell roses ...at least when coming through the Time Tunnel ...*verybigsmile*

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Excellent page with interesting tips wonderful pics and sense of humor. I'm still laughing at your hotel-tip. Really would Americans pay 5-times more in the hotel in Malbork? Pity you couldn't get Mexica by car I wish you make it next time. Thanks Maciek!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 8:14 AM

Wow, Matt!! You really discovered an interesting OTBP location with Bisbee! I really enjoyed your excellent tips and great photos (despite the challenges) as you took me on the tour! My one quick trip to Arizona prevented me finding such a gem.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Looks like you had a nice stop in Bisbee and the historical district. I like the colours of Lavender Pit!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Bisbee