"Relaxing mountain village" Zuberec by matcrazy1

Zuberec Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 41 photos

Where women were banned :-)

I was in small village of Zuberec not as a tourist but I - together with other 40 males (women, fiences, wives were banned :-) - was invited to celebrate 40th birthday of my friend. Party was great and crazy; roasted, small pig as well. And before the party we were walking around the village located at the foot of Western Tatras. Tatra mountains located on Polish-Slovak border with the highest summit called Gerlah (Gerlahovsky stit - 2655 m = 8711 ft) are the highest moutains of both Slovakia and Poland.

Our delicious, small pig

We were eating this small, poor pig baked in an oven first and then put and roasted on a grill.

Wooden architecture

After first beer, ok, a few beers we were walking around and looking at local, old wooden houses. Shouldn't we do it before beer?

• Pros:Great place for hidden party, landscapes, wooden houses, nearby Museum of Orava and hot springs
  • Cons:Not so comfortable to get there without a car
  • In a nutshell:Great party in great location!
  • Last visit to Zuberec: Sep 2000
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Thanks for sharing about this village. Hope to see it some time in the future!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 5:53 AM

A wonderful way to celebrate a 40th birthday. The roasted pig I would not be interested in myself since I do not eat meat.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 2:39 AM

Another fabulous page with brilliant photos of a mostly unknown Slovak village. Zlaty Bazant is indeed a delicious beer. I had one exactly one week ago. :o)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 7:24 AM

It seems to be a perfect destination for the kind of celebration you had ! Roasted piglet is always yummy and it is one of our pleasures in Istria !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 4:54 PM

What a neat way to celebrate a birthday...guys night out...the sucking pig does look delicious, but I agree, it is not big enough. A fun page to read, Matt.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 1:33 PM

Interesting place. That suckling pig looked very tasty! I hope you didn't drink your beer down to quick with it!!!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 8:49 AM

Cute off the beaten path place! But how can you have fun when women are banned?

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 1:42 PM

Ok, the goat is cute, but goats milk.......ah yuk.....lol! I'll stick to the beer thank you very much. Beautiful mountains and looks like you all had fun. Cute page!!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2005 at 5:54 AM

Shame the style of the homes changed with the type of construction. Pretty location. You should have given that goat a beer:-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM

Enjoyed your beer info as only beer I've had from here is Zlaty and that pig looks tasty but think I'd rather go on a trip with all the wives and fiancees. Then you'd never fall asleep too early. ;)

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Zuberec

Have you been to Zuberec?

Latest Activity in Zuberec