Gdansk Sports & Outdoors Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Gdansk Sports & Outdoors: 12 reviews and 30 photos
WINDSURFING AT GDANSK BAY IN JELITKOWO
Waters of the Baltic Sea in the Bay of Gdansk, are usually quiet as the bay is protected by long Hel Peninsula and thus open exclusively to the East. However there are strong water currents in the bay. It's a high wind area that has to attract windsurfers. Indeed, I saw a lot of them when I was walking along the Jelitkowo beach. There are numerous schools of windsurfing and kitesurfing on the Hel peninsula.
Equipment: There is a windsurfing school on the beach which both give winsurfing classes and hires necessary equipment.
Directions: On the Jeltkowo beach.
Theme: Sports Watching
OLD YACHT IN VISTULAMOUTH (WISLOUJSCIE)
Gdansk is located by the Motlawa River (downtown) and along the Dead Vistula River, a few kilometers down its mouth to the Baltic Sea. The Dead Vistula is linked with a number of nearby lakes.
In 2001 my friends sailed so called Radunia Loop ("kolko Radunskie"), took a lot of awesome pictures and had a great fun. It's the 40 km of scenic sail (an option is kayaking) along the Radunia River and 10 lakes near Gdansk (part of the Great Masurian Lakes). The friends wanted me to join them but unfortunately I couldn't. They climbed the mountain or better to say the hill of Wiezyca which is the highest point all around the European Lowland (Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Russia) although it's only 328.6 m high.
Equipment: My friends hired an inland yacht in Gdansk for a week in summer 2001. As I remember well they paid some 100 zl (25 euros) per day for a yacht for up 10 persons.
For up-to-date info ask at any Gdansk tourist information office, follow the link given below or start your search for yacht charters in Gdansk and the Great Masurian Lakes from:
Yacht Charter Guide
BATHING IN THE BALTIC SEA
Unfortunatelly water in the Baltic Sea is cold most of the summer, 21 - 22 C at the end of August when I was there. But it didn't discouraged a few young folks on the jelitkowo beaxh who were crazy bathing. Warning: there is no lifeguards on this beach. But the sea bed lowers very slowly that makes bathing safer.
Equipment: Swim suit (topless allowed) or bathing shorts.
Theme: Beach Activities
THE JELITKOWO BEACH
I have taken a short but very relaxing walk along a beach in Gdansk district of Jelitkowo. Althogh there were quite many folks doing the same at some parts of the beach I enjoyed the views over the sea, a fresh wind, a sound of the waves, watching others and soft sand under my feet.
Equipment: You have to wear something, nudity is forbidden on that beach. Topless is surely allowed although bot popular while walking.
Theme: Beach Activities
There are quite many teens riding a skateboard on walking pathways in Gdansk parks. I've saw them riding along the Canal of Radunia. They always chose empty places not to disturb pedestrians.
Equipment: A skateboard and casual dress, more casual better.
Directions: In the Old Town, close to the Great Mill.
More Reviews (291)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All Not seen for years
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Gdansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freedom, Solidarity and German heritage"
- "Gdansk - the great city."
- "Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city"
- "Gdansk - German spirit port of Poland"
- "I LOVED GDANSK!"
- "Gdansk - A Phoenix Risen From the Ashes"
- "The Treasures of Gdansk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gdansk
- Hotels in Gdansk
- Transportation in Gdansk
- Nightlife in Gdansk
- Restaurants in Gdansk
- Shopping in Gdansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Gdansk
- See All...
Explore the World
- Guatemala City
- Saint Pete Beach
- Glenbrook Hotels
- South Pass City Hotels
- Guttenberg Hotels
- Bodh Gaya Hotels
- San Leo
Badges & Stats in Gdansk
- 296 Reviews
- 1,227 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gdansk
Photos in GdanskSee All Photos (1227)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (379)
Latest Gdansk hotel reviews
- Kobza Haus
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Hilton Gdansk
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Holiday Inn Gdansk
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Hanza Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Hostel Przy Targu Rybnym
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2012
- Willa Biala Lilia Hotel Gdansk
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Hotel Zajazd Pod Olivka
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2011
- Novotel Gdansk Centrum
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Lezno Palace
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2012
- Willa Albatros
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- Gotyk House
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Baltic Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2012
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012
- Akme Villa
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 23, 2013
- miniHotel Abak
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2011