"A stone's throw away from Gdansk" Kolbudy by matcrazy1
Kolbudy Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 70 photos
Kolbudy is a village located in northern Poland, only 15 km southwest of Gdansk and 25 km from sandy beaches of the Baltic Sea. This historical region is called Kashubia. The natives, called Kashubians, write and speak own language for centuries. It's the only one of Slavic languages used in the area of contemporary Poland that is very difficult to understand by Poles.
But not the very interesting Kashubian culture brought me to Kolbudy. I unexpectadly got two free tickets for a concert "Space of Freedom" of Jean Michel Jarre in Gdansk shipyard at the 25th anniversary of the Solidarity Movement. I had unsuccessfully called to numerous hotels, hostels and pensions in Gdansk to book a room. Hmm... I was at least a few weeks too late. Finally, thanks to coincidence, internet and help of the staff of one hotel in Gdansk, I found and immediatelly booked a room in Hotel VIP in Kolbudy.
I was surprised to discover a beautiful lake, to see windsurfers and local fishermen. I've found peace and quiet just a stone's throw away from Gdansk.
- Pros:Lake, windsurfing, fishing, peace and quiet, cheap area
- Cons:It's a one-horse-village, probably noone knows English language
- In a nutshell:Just go and relax!
1. DOGS When you walk along local houses look out for dogs watching their properties and running among pieces of junk... more travel advice
I didn't do it in Kolbudy. But I watched a few locals doing it. I am neither dedicated fisherman nor windsurfer. Both... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Kolbudy Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kolbudy
- 7 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Kolbudy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolbudy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues