Krakow Nightlife Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Krakow Nightlife: 220 reviews and 291 photos
SOLARIS - NEW HOLLYWOOD MOVIE BASE ON LEM'S NOVEL
You can meet with people of great art in Krakow - personally (official meeting or if you are lucky just by accident haha) or with their art masterpieces.
Hmm... not so easy to choose a few of them. OK, look:
1. Slawomir MROZEK - I love his plays - NEXT Krakow's Nobel Prize in literature? Haha, who knows?
He is the best known among the Polish avant-garde dramatists. His plays have been performed in most of the capital cities in Europe and in New York with enormous success. He received the "Prix de l'Humour Noir" for "The Elephant" in France. He continued to write with success both short stories and dramatic works, becoming - alongside with Beckett and others - a revered creator of the modern theatre. Festivals of Mrozek's plays were held in Amsterdam (1988), Cracow (1990) and Stockholm (1991). His latest work "Love on the Crimea" was awarded the Crédit Industriel et Commercial of Paris.
2. Stanislaw LEM - satirical and philosophical science fiction writer. Lem's books were translated into forty languages, these editions total over twenty seven million copies. He is probably the best single sci-fi author of the late 20th century not to write in English. Lem is best known to English readers for his 1961 novel Solaris, the subject motion picture from 20th Century Fox.
Have you already seen new movie "SOLARIS" directed by Steven Soderbergh starring George Clooney?
What do you think?
The American premiere of Solaris took place on November 27th, 2002; European will be in March 2003.
3. Krzysztof PENDERECKI - a top world composer: a Grammy Award (1988), a UNESCO International Music Council Award (1993) and many others.
It's a pub + internet cafe room located in cellars.
Nice place to
- meet people (mainly young and very young people),
- get a drink (great variety - more then 50, beer: Zywiec, Zywiec Porter, Heineken + many kinds of bottled beer)
- listen to the music (jazz, blues, rock, acid jazz) in good atmosphere; sometimes (rarely recently) live music as well; each Friday since 9pm DJ Party "Lounge U Louisa" - club dancing music;
- connect to internet; very good and fast internet connection (1US$/Euro for 1 hour; 5MBp/s).
Door security guard do not enter too young people (18+ is OK :-), sometimes even check your luggage (esp. young people) looking for drugs, I suppose (+ call the police, possessing even the smallest amount of drugs is a crime in Poland now), some people said me that he was a little rude for them. For me he was very polite.
Opened 11am - +2 (+2 means 2am or to the last customer). Internet room: 10am-midnight.
Toilet - not so bad but hmmm... they should improve it.
Credit cards Visa accepted.
Dress Code: As you like.
Address: Rynek Glówny 13 (Main Market Square 13)
Directions: On the east wall of the Main Market Square close to its SE corner where Grodzka Street leaves the square.
Phone: (+48 12) 431 18 22
Theme: People Watching
Krakow is the city of pubs and you will hardly find any club here.
If you have had enough of Krakow's cellar bars, Paparazzi is a refreshing change.
Paparazzi is one of nicest pubs here with lots of great pictures on the walls and... they serve THE BEST DRINKS in town!
Caparinia, Margarita, Long Island, Ice Tea, Black Russian, Sex On The Beach and hundreds more. You can try favorite drink of Philip Marlowe - detective from the novel by Chandler - coctail gimlet.
Music: usually pop, poprock or acid jazz - they should improve the quality of equipment (speakers), I suppose.
Very, very good staff (with very few exceptions in the past, they released them, I think), attention men: very pretty waitresses.
Over-crowded in summer Fri-Sat (come earlier or - if no place - go oposite side of Mikolajska Street to Black Gallery :-), rather not very cheap place but much cheaper then in Paris for example - drinks surely worth of their price.
I've met there tourists from the USA, Norway and Sweden :-)). This cosmopolitan bar which also offers excellent salads, pastas, chili con carne and sometimes even bagels.
Mon - Fri 11.00am - midnight
Sat - Sun 3pm - 1am or to the last consumer :-).
Dress Code: A little more formal in the evenings then T-shirt and jeans although... if you like...
Address: Mikolajska 9
Directions: Walk from the NE corner of the Main Market Square eastwards Mikolajska Street
Phone: (+48 12) 429 45 97
TRY MY DRINKS :-)))
The underground cellars of Mexican Taco Mexicana restaurant are opened since 5pm till 11.30pm or midnight on weekends (Fri-Sun). Inexpensive place and crowded especially Thursday - Sunday.
You can taste a lot of cool hard drinks there either Polish and Mexican (Margarita).
Try Zubrowka - Polish bison vodka, available (but different hehe) in some liquor stores in the USA as well. I don't like it too much hehe (strong!) but it goes well with apple juice in my opinion :-))).
Dress Code: Casual dress accepted.
Address: Ul. Poselska 20, 31-002 Kraków
Directions: Walk Grodzka Street from SE corner of the Main Market Square and turn first left to Poselska - on the left (3 min. from Main Market Square).
Phone: +48 (12) 421 54 41
Theme: People Watching
WALL PAINTING IN TACO MEXICANA RESTAURANT
There are a lot of places to meet people - either visitors (Polish and foreign) and natives - in Krakow. Read my and other VT-ers nightlife and restaurant tips.
Hmm... as to the natives (I mean citizens of Krakow) it's not so easy to meet them especially on business days. Most people walking around downtown are either visitors or students often living outside Krakow.
Students are most crazy on Thursday, I suppose. On Friday they used to come back home for weekend. You can meet them in numerous night clubs, pubs and discos. Notice that Krakow is still changing very fast. It means that most popular places change very fast, some places close, other are created. The best way to find your place for the evening/night (especially if you travel alone) is to walk around starting at say 6-7pm (in summer 7-8pm) looking at places I mentioned in my tips and others around tiny Krakow downtown or in Jewish district Kazimierz (Casimir).
Dress Code: In most places casual dress is acceptable.
Jazz Club u Muniaka
If you love jazz and saxophone sounds it's place just for you. Jazz concerts (or rather jazz sessions) takes place every Thurday, Friday and Saturday 9.30pm - 1.30am.
"u Muniaka" means "at Muniak's" Who is Muniak? Janusz MUNIAK is one of the best (I think the best) jazzman in Poland, he plays saxophone - unforgettable sounds, must go there to listen to him, even if these 2 cellars are too small, there are too many people inside, most of them is smoking and the air-condition is hmm... not so fast to cool and clean the air.
You can buy Muniak's CDs or MCs in numeourus music stores in the Old Town.
Nice staff, but I can say that music is better there then a pub itself. Beer - 1.25US$/Euro.
Opening hours: 5pm - last customer.
Dress Code: As you like - rather hot place inside.
Address: Floria?ska 3
Directions: Walk northwards from NE corner of the Main Market Square - it's Florianska Street.
Phone: (+48 12) 423 12 05
Theme: Live Music
Good and very nice place especially for lovers of English pubs. Great atmosphere, nice interior design, many English speaking customers, very nice staff.
What to drink: in cold days tea from a pot ("herbata w dzbanku"), delicious Guinness or Cider Cashel's were my favourites.
Sometimes you can meet here Mr Mazowiecki - former and first non-communist prime minister of Poland.
Opening hours: 9am-2am.
Dress Code: As you like - maybe jeans and T-shirt, maybe suit and a tie hehe.
Address: Mikolajska 2
Directions: NE corner of the main Market Square - go a little Mikolajska eastwards.
Phone: (+48 12) 423 11 68
Theme: People Watching
Flip and Flap :-)))
There are not many places great for dancing in Krakow. Undoubtly Mezzanine is one of them.
Good drinks, good door security guards (they really know whom not to allow to enter haha), good DJs. Sometimes live music.
Dress Code: You won't be let in wearing sneakers or shorts. Party clothes recommended.
Address: ul. Sienna 2
Directions: Street east of the Main Market Square (leads to the Little Market Square)
Phone: (+48 12) 422 42 03
Stalowe Magnolie (= Steel Magnolias) is a good place for the evening to meet people (including foreign tourists and citizens), drink and maybe sometimes dance - in my opinion.
Live music in the evenings (sometimes quite good music bands). Very nice interiors of former Lubomirski Palace, including big hall with famous burgundy-style, velvet beds (only for holders of special card - how to get it is top secret of the menager hehe).
Good (I mean well trained) security door guards, better do not discuss with them haha.
Very high prices (though lower then for example in Paris) - we say in Krakow "Warsaw prices".
All drinks like: „Stalowe Magnolie”, „White Russian”, „Manhatann”, „Margarita Presidente” above 4 $/Euro.
Beer - 2 US$/Euro and above.
Dress Code: Shorts and sneakers not allowed.
Address: Sw. Jana 15 (= St. John Street)
Directions: Fom the middle of northern wall of the Main Market Square walk north - it's Sw. Jana
Phone: (+48 12) 422 60 84
The name "Black Gallery " originates from gallery which was earlier in this place.
It's not so crowded place as Paparazzi on the opposite side of Mikolajska, and it's cheaper place. Rather classical, older place located in underground cellars with quite nice (in summer only) garden - quite popular place to meet a few friends. You can go there if there is no seats in "Paparazzi" especially. Hmm... staff is not so good, security seems to be not always enough (many drunk young people).
Opening hours: 3pm - last consumer.
Funny names of quite good drinks: "Kamikadze", "Skorpion", "Wsciekly Pies = Furious/Mad Dog" - the last one was the best for me.
Two cellars - both for smoking; self-service, music: rock, acid jazz, hip hop, sometimes techno; youth and students are common customers. More famous guests were: Steven Spielberg, Ben Kingsley, Fish (Marilion), J.C. van Damme.
Dress Code: No specified.
Address: Mikolajska 24
Directions: Walk eastwards from NE corner of the Main Market Square - it's just Mikolajska street
Phone: (+48 12) 423 00 30
More Reviews (335)
- See All 3-star, family run hidden gem of Krakow!
- See All Great US friends and Polish food :-)
- See All Famous honey cakes from Torun
- See All Let's meet... under the knife
- See All On bicycle
- See All Strange ship
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "WELCOME TO KRAKOW"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cremona Hotels
- Malabuyoc Hotels
- Otok Vir Hotels
- Koubri Nabmanaguéma Hotels
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 353 Reviews
- 430 Photos
- 116 Forum posts
- 330 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- Commented on one of elPierro's Krakow travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Euromeet 2010 - Virtual Attendees Meeting (VAM)"
- updated a Krakow Travel Page "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- Wrote a Review 3-star, family run hidden gem of... in Krakow Hotels
Photos in KrakowSee All Photos (430)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Krakow hotel reviews
- Grand Hotel - Krakow
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Kossak
- 531 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel System POP
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- RT Monopol Hotel
- 340 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Chopin Hotel Cracow
- 264 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Witek Hotel and Conference Centre
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Jan Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Nathan's Villa Hostel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Mundo Hostel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Orbis Cracovia Krakow
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Abella Guest Rooms
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 7, 2013
- 513 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- AAE Cracow Mosquito Hostel
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Pod Roza
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Wawel Castle- 341 Reviews, 526 Photos
- Auschwitz- 107 Reviews, 247 Photos
- Jewish Quarter - Kazimierz- 158 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Market Square - Rynek Glowny- 159 Reviews, 258 Photos
- Wieliczka Salt Mine- 69 Reviews, 172 Photos
- St. Mary's Church- 128 Reviews, 234 Photos
- St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican- 112 Reviews, 179 Photos
- Cloth Hall - Sukiennice- 83 Reviews, 141 Photos
- Town Hall - Ratusz- 45 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Jagiellonian University- 33 Reviews, 52 Photos
See All Krakow Things to Do