"The Baltic Sea in October? Are you crazy?" Leba by matcrazy1

Leba Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 66 photos

How to warm the Baltic Sea around Leba?

Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!

Before my trip to Leba at the end of October my friends asked me: "are you crazy?" (if any doubts look at my nick). Going to the Baltic Sea in October? Go south, for example to Croatia with the Adriatic Sea, they suggested.
I'm happy not to listen to them. I found a very relaxing, empty and silent place with roar of the sea waves and THE BIGGEST DUNES IN EUROPE (although not the highest) in nearby Slowinski National Park, details in my Off The Beaten Path Tips.

Water in the Baltic Sea in Leba is relatively cold even in summer, often 18-22 C (64-72 F).
Therefore I'm glad to annouce the COMPETITION for the best answer to the question:

How to warm the Baltic sea around Leba?
E-mail me if you have any ideas, please. List of prizes, jury and detailed rules of the competition unavailable. All answers can be quoted here:
Answers:
1. Get a large group of people and have them all pee in the water at once. That should raise the water temperature a few degrees. :-)
2. My suggestion to heat up your Sea is, Solar Panels. Just cover it with solar panels. Another thing you could do is what the California Surfers do, wear a wet suit. :-)
3. I'd rather put a plant on producing glintwein (mulled wine), and put tonnes of glintwein there... believe me after that Leba will have tourists all year long. Swimming + drinking simultaneously; do you like the combination?
4. Any other ideas? This place is just for YOU! Which of the above ideas is the best for you? 3rd? :-)

Empty out of the season

There are many new hotels, pensions, bars etc. which are full of tourists only in the summer.
Hotel Neptun (on the picture) is the best although was hmmm... a little too expensive for me, maybe next time haha :-).

Sea and river

Leba is a small town with fishing harbour at the river estuary situated on the middle coast of the Baltic Sea nearby Slowinski National Park, an area with mighty sand dunes, Poland's answer on Sahara!

• Pros:The most beautiful broad, sandy beach; very relaxing place out of the season; THE BIGGEST DUNES IN EUROPE nearby
  • Cons:Maybe over-crowded in summer; not so warm water in the Baltic
  • In a nutshell:Out of the season is the best!
  • Last visit to Leba: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2003

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 4:44 AM

An interesting page on the Baltic seaside in the off-season! Maybe I could swim there since the Bay of Fundy temperature is 9 C, where I swam as a child! Wow, those dunes are very impressive! Too bad Hotel Neptun is expensive, it looks very nice.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 7:28 AM

the national park and the dunes look lovely

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 6:38 AM

I by far prefer the beaches in October ! I feel it is very easy to heat the Baltic Sea. The solution is pollution ! The more you pollute, the more you strengthen global warming of the climate! Though, may be already hot countries will not agree :-)))

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 6:50 AM

Wonderful beaches in Leba

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 4:27 AM

I love that hotel, fabulous location. Incredible national park.. wow, those dunes! Beautiful beaches and obviously Oct is a quiet time to go. Great page.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 1:17 PM

This is a great page Matt,those sand dunes look amazing and the hotel Neptun looks such a lovely place to stay.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 3:19 PM

Your comparison photos make me beleive you choose the best time to visit!

• coceng's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2003 at 7:08 AM

Wow ! Leba....:) I would like to go there in winter anyway....Thanks Matt for showing me this place..:) Regards.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2003 at 7:33 AM

Brilliant page! Wow, the beach is very clean - looks like snow.

• webina's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 1:20 PM

Great pages, thanks! I would also prefer the winter months...

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Leba