"The world's largest medieval castle !" Top 5 Page for this destination Malbork by matcrazy1
Malbork Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 486 photos
Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!
Thank you very, very much :-)))
YES, YES, there is no doubt: the castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork is the biggest medieval castle of the world!!!
I didn't know it when I went there but the first words of the castle's tourist guide were just as above !!!
And it's really a very huge castle. When you get lost inside numerous wings, corridors, undergrounds, courtyards etc. watch for ghosts hehe.
Standart tour with a guide lasts approx. 3 hours but if you are interested in history, architecture, castles and if you want to visit all 20 permanent and additional temporary exhibits hmmm... reserve 2 full days.
A fortified Teutonic Knights castle sited upon River Nogat started about 1270 to be completed in 1404.
1309 - 1457
In 1309 the castle became the seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights' Order which had its former residence in Venice, Italy now.
1457 - 1772
Part of Polish Royal Prussia
1772 - 1945
Part of German West Prussia
1945 - 1989
Part of Poland under Soviet communist regime
A religious military order founded about 1190 in the Holy Land by German crusaders that originally did charitable work among the sick and later fought against the Slavic and Baltic peoples in the eastward expansion of medieval Germany. Also called Teutonic Knights.
FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Little beds for little medieval people eh? (ATLC)
Hmm... maybe they were of Japanese (Asian) origin!
Btw beds in Eastern Europe are smaller than in Western (not mentioning the USA) ---> we have more children :-)))
2. Why aren't u dressed as a knight ?:) (IngaA); Reckon you should have had a photo taken in medieval costume - its the thing for VT'ers to do now :-)) (sandysmith)
Right. I saw a few crazy VT-ers (hmm... including you Sandy :-) in crazy costumes recently hehe, but:
- costumes of these two rich and famous knights were not for rent at least for me - poor serf;
- it seems that they didn't have any other clothes and any public nudity was unacceptable neither socially nor by medieval law. Have you ever seen any naked knight? :-)
3. Matt, is your statue among those of rich and famous knights? (andal13)
I just checked it in my mirror, hmm... yes, probably yes! But rich and famous knights? Sorry, I didn't know it, what a shame and no respect with my left hand in my pocket :-((((
4. The page is not as small as you claimed it is though! (janika)
Right! Sorry, but after my fantastic USA trip in April/May (38 days and over... 11,500 miles) I can't differentiate well what is big and small :-))
5. Why do the knights look like ghosts? (Kodi01):
Once upon a time I saw a ghost or rather a few ones at once but I was... under influence that time. I can't remember them. So, I don't know how do they look, do you know?
6. I was wondering ... when do you make 211 travel tips? Do you ever work, or sleep, or do other things? (myriam)
Ok: from 22 till 28 June 2003 mainly in the late evenings (= 30 tips a... night + 1 hehe).
As my ancestors are from the West and from the East I seem to have mixed genes:
I used to work fast, sleep short and use first quality equipment at work (West)
I used to do other things (don't ask me what my dirty eastern hemisphere of my brain thinks about, please :-) at daylight as well and even quite often, I suppose; I used to sleep at work... at least sometimes :-) (East).
7. LOVE the opening pic, Matt! It's soooo....well.....Monty Python-esque! (Geisha_Girl)
Sorry, I don't know this knight! Is (Sir?) Monty Python from Scotland or...?
8. Do you really expect an indoor pool in a historical site? (DanielF)
Hmm... didn't the rich and famous knights wash/swim in a pool? Hmm... right, they had a Nogat River.
9. Why your English is so poor on this page? (matcrazy1)
Do you want the whole list? OK, top 3:
- I was too lazy to learn more beautiful Shakespeare's language at school and university and I loved other things that time :-)
- each day there are less and less nervous cells in my brain (in your, too hehe) so, it's not so easy to learn English now,
- I don't like to make problems great VT English helpers.
10. TO BE CONTINUED till my candle die out !!!
- Pros:The world's biggest medieval castle, knights, ghosts :-) and shopping - NOT over-crowded (yet)
- Cons:You must waste at least 3 candles to read this page :-). The Castle Museum is closed on Monday !!!
- In a nutshell:Get lost in medieval castle! Watch for ghosts :-)))
On the reverse side of a FOTO/VIDEO sticker there is written - what a surprise - IN ENGLISH hehe: "Please, stick it to... more travel advice
I paid 22.00 PLN (tax included, as always in Poland) for my ticket which entitled me to visit the Castle Museum grounds,... more travel advice
- See All Along the Nogat River
- See All By ship from Scandinavia
- See All By Nogat River
- See All The walls
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Malbork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The world's largest medieval castle !"
- "Malbork - former capital of Teutonic Knights"
- "Funka, Malbork... (V)"
- "The Teutonic Castle of Marlbork"
- "Malbork Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malbork
- Hotels in Malbork
- Transportation in Malbork
- Restaurants in Malbork
- Shopping in Malbork
- Warnings and Dangers in Malbork
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malbork
- 211 Reviews
- 254 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 79 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Malbork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malbork
Photos in MalborkSee All Photos (254)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues