"The world's largest medieval castle !" Top 5 Page for this destination Malbork by matcrazy1

Malbork Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 507 photos

Incredible virtual tour back to medieval times :-)

Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!

YES, YES, there is no doubt: the castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork is the biggest medieval castle of the world!!!
I didn't know it when I went there but the first words of the castle's tourist guide were just as above !!!

And it's really a very huge castle. When you get lost inside numerous wings, corridors, undergrounds, courtyards etc. watch for ghosts hehe.

Standart tour with a guide lasts approx. 3 hours but if you are interested in history, architecture, castles and if you want to visit all 20 permanent and additional temporary exhibits hmmm... reserve 2 full days.

Brief history

A fortified Teutonic Knights castle sited upon River Nogat started about 1270 to be completed in 1404.

1309 - 1457
In 1309 the castle became the seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights' Order which had its former residence in Venice, Italy now.

1457 - 1772
Part of Polish Royal Prussia

1772 - 1945
Part of German West Prussia

1945 - 1989
Part of Poland under Soviet communist regime

Since 1989
Independent Poland.

Teutonic Order? What's that?

A religious military order founded about 1190 in the Holy Land by German crusaders that originally did charitable work among the sick and later fought against the Slavic and Baltic peoples in the eastward expansion of medieval Germany. Also called Teutonic Knights.

FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Little beds for little medieval people eh? (ATLC)
Hmm... maybe they were of Japanese (Asian) origin!
Btw beds in Eastern Europe are smaller than in Western (not mentioning the USA) ---> we have more children :-)))

2. Why aren't u dressed as a knight ?:) (IngaA); Reckon you should have had a photo taken in medieval costume - its the thing for VT'ers to do now :-)) (sandysmith)
Right. I saw a few crazy VT-ers (hmm... including you Sandy :-) in crazy costumes recently hehe, but:
- costumes of these two rich and famous knights were not for rent at least for me - poor serf;
- it seems that they didn't have any other clothes and any public nudity was unacceptable neither socially nor by medieval law. Have you ever seen any naked knight? :-)

3. Matt, is your statue among those of rich and famous knights? (andal13)
I just checked it in my mirror, hmm... yes, probably yes! But rich and famous knights? Sorry, I didn't know it, what a shame and no respect with my left hand in my pocket :-((((

4. The page is not as small as you claimed it is though! (janika)
Right! Sorry, but after my fantastic USA trip in April/May (38 days and over... 11,500 miles) I can't differentiate well what is big and small :-))

5. Why do the knights look like ghosts? (Kodi01):
Once upon a time I saw a ghost or rather a few ones at once but I was... under influence that time. I can't remember them. So, I don't know how do they look, do you know?

6. I was wondering ... when do you make 211 travel tips? Do you ever work, or sleep, or do other things? (myriam)
Ok: from 22 till 28 June 2003 mainly in the late evenings (= 30 tips a... night + 1 hehe).
As my ancestors are from the West and from the East I seem to have mixed genes:
I used to work fast, sleep short and use first quality equipment at work (West)
I used to do other things (don't ask me what my dirty eastern hemisphere of my brain thinks about, please :-) at daylight as well and even quite often, I suppose; I used to sleep at work... at least sometimes :-) (East).

7. LOVE the opening pic, Matt! It's soooo....well.....Monty Python-esque! (Geisha_Girl)
Sorry, I don't know this knight! Is (Sir?) Monty Python from Scotland or...?

8. Do you really expect an indoor pool in a historical site? (DanielF)
Hmm... didn't the rich and famous knights wash/swim in a pool? Hmm... right, they had a Nogat River.

9. Why your English is so poor on this page? (matcrazy1)
Do you want the whole list? OK, top 3:
- I was too lazy to learn more beautiful Shakespeare's language at school and university and I loved other things that time :-)
- each day there are less and less nervous cells in my brain (in your, too hehe) so, it's not so easy to learn English now,
- I don't like to make problems great VT English helpers.

10. TO BE CONTINUED till my candle die out !!!

• Pros:The world's biggest medieval castle, knights, ghosts :-) and shopping - NOT over-crowded (yet)
  • Cons:You must waste at least 3 candles to read this page :-). The Castle Museum is closed on Monday !!!
  • In a nutshell:Get lost in medieval castle! Watch for ghosts :-)))
  • Last visit to Malbork: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2004

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Malbork Castle looks really impressive. I plan to visit on a day trip from Gdansk in January, and I will definitely be sure to be there when they open. There seem to be so much to explore in the castle.

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

You have worked very hard with an excellent result
    Tips are very interesting and the photos very good
    Thank you !!!
    Gracias!!!!

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Castle is fantastic and city is beautiful. I visited it last year. When will you visit Estonia again? North-East Estonia:)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hello, Maciek! Thanks for your amazing and witty description Take care! Glad for you!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Ahh - Found the transportation tips. Lot so f good info, but how long is the trip from Warsaw or from Krakow? A full days trip I'm sure. ~ Looks like fun! I don't drive. Is there public transportation available to the Castle?

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Looks like a cool place to explore!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 11:09 AM

We went to Malbork in 1990 - very impressive.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 7:52 AM

I've finished... Fundamental work, Maciek! Upphh! I'd visit Malbork om my way home from Germany by car. But it'll take one more day... If only to combine it with Gdansk? 300 PLN for double is rather expensive. We usually pay 120-160...

• Nov 7, 2006 at 5:34 AM

it is not easy to get lost, very nice and hospital guides are responsible for security of tourists, even those that are not very smart.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 3:05 PM

A super Malbork tribute to VT Matt,... the medieval times were a bit of magical, mysterious,... loved the happy and sad women sculptures ... *smile* Greetzzz RoyJava

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Malbork

Have you been to Malbork?

Latest Activity in Malbork