"Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Oswiecim" Oswiecim by matcrazy1
Oswiecim Travel Guide: 367 reviews and 995 photos
Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!
Thank you very, very much :-)))
Oswiecim is an old Town on the Sola River dating back to the 12th and 13th centuries. The World War II was the most tragic period in the history of the town because of the concentration camp founded by the Nazis here. Now there is a National Museum - Auschwitz Birkenau - a UNESCO world heritage monument.
"Schindler's List" - the famous movie by Steven Spielberg, awarded 7 Academy Awards was recorded here at Birkenau camp.
All over the world, Auschwitz has become a symbol of terror, genocide, and the Holocaust. It was established by the Nazis in 1940, in the suburbs of the city of Oswiecim which, like other parts of Poland, was occupied by the Germans during the Second World War. The name of the city of Oswiecim was changed to Auschwitz that time, which became the name of the camp as well.
The overall number of victims of Auschwitz in the years 1940-1945 is estimated at between 1,100,000 and 1,500,000 people. The majority of them, and above all the mass transports of Jews who arrived beginning in 1942, died in the gas chambers.
Oswiecim (43,000 citizens) is situated in southern Poland about 20 km (14 mi) east of Tychy, my hometown - look at the map.
Distances from Oswiecim:
Krakow-Balice International Airport - 55km (34 mi)
Katowice-Pyrzowice International Airport - 70km (44 mi).
- Pros:Terrific and moving warning to the world
- Cons:Rather not for very sensitive persons
- In a nutshell:The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again
The Oswiecim castle is located on the bank of Sola River. Its history dates back to 12th century, but it was rebuild and... more travel advice
The Hotel offers single, double, triple rooms as well as suites. There is a restaurant which serves dishes of Polish and... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Oswiecim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auschwitz: A factory of death"
- "The Sad Auschwitz Camp..."
- "Auschwitz - A production line of death"
- "AUSCHWITZ ----- BIRKENAU"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oswiecim
- Hotels in Oswiecim
- Transportation in Oswiecim
- Restaurants in Oswiecim
- Shopping in Oswiecim
- Warnings and Dangers in Oswiecim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oswiecim
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Oswiecim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oswiecim
- updated a Oswiecim Travel Page "Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Oswiecim"
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Commented on one of Durfun's Oswiecim travel pages
- Wrote a Review Oswiecim castle in Oswiecim Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Oswiecim"
Photos in OswiecimSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues