"Old historic town of Rybnik" Rybnik by matcrazy1
Rybnik Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 69 photos
Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!
Thank you very, very much :-)))
Rybnik is a city (1993 est. pop. 145,400) in Silesian Region in South Poland 31 km (19 mi) from the Czech border.
The name of the town is derived from a fish pond formerly called 'rybnik'. This term is still comes preserved in the Czech language. Originally a fish hatchery (established c.1100) noted for its carp, it was chartered in the 14th century.
Archeological excavations revealed people's presence in this area about 10,000 years ago.
Area of Rybnik in its history belonged to:
890/900-990 Great Morava and Czech
1945 -1989 Poland under Soviet communist regime
1989 - independent Poland.
Rybnik is worth of your visit if you are in the region for at least a few hours.
Why? Mainly because of its old usually German in style architecture like picturesque houses in Main Market with the Old City Hall, the Old Castle, a few old churches and many other old monuments.
Anything more? Yes, I found quite good possibilities for eating and doing shopping.
The city has many old buildings among them a feudal castle (The Old Castle) which houses districtional court now.
- Pros:Architecture, eating, shopping
- Cons:Ugly suburbs, air pollution
- In a nutshell:History, history, history
Hospital of St. Julius (Szpital sw. Juliusza) was built thanks to doctor Julius Roger in neo-gothic style in 1869. There... more travel advice
Rynek means Market Square in Polish language. Rynek is the center of the Old Town, it's a nice, picturesque square... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Rybnik Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Rybnik
- Hotels in Rybnik
- Transportation in Rybnik
- Restaurants in Rybnik
- Shopping in Rybnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Rybnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rybnik
- 26 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Rybnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rybnik
Photos in RybnikSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues