"WELCOME TO MY HOMETOWN" Tychy by matcrazy1
Tychy Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 263 photos
Would you like to receive a postcard from Poland?
Click here, please!
Thank you very, very much :-)))
I was born in Krakow (Cracow) on Christmas Eve, 24 Dec. in the evening, what a surprise hahaha. I grew up and lived in Krakow until I had left it for Tychy, city of 135,000 citizens, 50 min. west of Krakow by highway, in southern Poland about 80km (50mi) from Czech border.
Tychy is best known for the oldest in Poland brewery est. 1629 or earlier (TYSKIE beer), Fiat plant (Fiat Seicento) + many new factories and a few famous people (check it below). Tychy is the perfect base for visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Oswiecim - about 20 km (14 mi) west of Tychy. Est. 1,100,000 to 1,500,000 people were victims of former Nazi concentration camps in Auschwitz-Birkenau most of them of Jewish origin. The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again.
Did you know...
– TYSKIE is one of the Top 10 beer brands in Europe.
– TYSKIE is the biggest beer brand in Poland.
– Every fifth beer drunk in Poland is TYSKIE.
– In recognition for its high quality, TYSKIE was awarded medals on beer competitions in the USA, Belgium, Australia and the UK.
– TYSKIE brand is brewed in a brewery which has been continuously operating since 1629.
This page is always under construction.
For more welcome to:
City of Tychy Official Webpage
The first mention of Tychy in historical documents dates back to the year 1467. In 17th century it was one of the most affluent villages of the Pszczyna county. Established in 1629, the Ksiazecy Brewery (Prince Brewery) was in operation here, crops of hop and barley were grown, craftsmanship and industry developed. In 1870 the first railroad was built connecting Tychy with Katowice and Szopienice.
Between WW I and WW II, as part of the autonomous Silesian Province, the population of Tychy grew to reach 11 thousand citizens. During that time several facilities were established, including a hospital, a fire station, a post office, a shool, a swimming pool, a bowling hall and a number of shops and restaurants. On 1st January 1934 Tychy received its municipal rights. The war activity of 1939 caused little damage.
The beginning of the after-war history of the city goes back to 4th October 1950 when the Government Executives made a decision to build the so-called Nowe Tychy (New Tychy). A year later the city received its Civic Rights. Tychy was to become the first and largest city in the satellite system of the Silesian conurbation. Tychy developed rapidly to host a number of important investment projects including industrial venues which, in turn, changed its status from a housing settlement to an independent urban centre.
click here and click History then
On the map:
Cassino (Italy) 1977
Berlin-Marzahn (Germany) 1992
Roubaix (France) 1995
Milton Keynes (UK) 1995
Tuttlingen (Germany) 1997
Dacorum (UK) 1999
Huddinge (Sweden) 1999
Kijów-Podole (Ukraine) 2000
Famous citizens of Tychy:
1. Mariusz Czerkawski - the top NHL hockey player (New York Islanders now) - more in Sports Travel Tips,
2. Isabella Scorupco as his wife (Swedish citizen now) - an actress (Hollywood movies: "Golden Eye", "Vertical Limit")
3. Krzysztof Oliva - NHL hockey player (in Calgary Flames, Canada now).
4. Check my Tourist Trap please.
DO NOT MISS MY TIPS AND TRAVELOGUES
(always under construction)
- Pros:Brewery, old and modern architecture, me hahaha :-)
- Cons:You have to meet me in real life whenever you come here
- In a nutshell:GOOD LAUGH WITH (NOT AT) THE NATIVES :-)
In Poland 95% of population declares to be Roman Catholic and approx. 60% - 70% declare to practice. I don't know... more travel advice
There are quite many small, stone and old chapels in Tychy. They were put along tracks and roads leading to church and... more travel advice
- See All With party barrel of Tyskie beer :-)
- See All Don't we like flatness?
- See All Old and new Polish cars
- See All Tyskie and Pilsner Urquell beer
- See All Stained-glass windows in Europe
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tychy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY HOMETOWN"
- "Tychy - do you know how to pronounce it?"
- "Welcome to TYCHY (TICHAU)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tychy
- Hotels in Tychy
- Transportation in Tychy
- Nightlife in Tychy
- Restaurants in Tychy
- Shopping in Tychy
- Warnings and Dangers in Tychy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tychy
- 164 Reviews
- 201 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 301 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Tychy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tychy
Photos in TychySee All Photos (201)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues