Wadowice Off The Beaten Path Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Wadowice Off The Beaten Path: 10 reviews and 10 photos
Have you ever heard about Walesa and Solidarity movement?
Look at logo of "Solidarity" by the entrance to the town museum. There is a headquarter of local Solidarity trade union there.
"Solidarity" that is "Solidarnosc" in Polish was born as a trade union after the Gdansk shipyard strike and many more strikes throughout Poland in 1980. In September 1981 Walesa was elected Solidarity Chairman at the First National Solidarity Congress in Gdansk. In real it was not a trade union but strong, independent movement for human rights and dignity in still communist country - first sign of the end of Soviet communism.
The country's brief enjoyment of hmm... very relative freedom ended in December 1981, when General Jaruzelski, fearing Soviet armed intervention among other considerations, imposed martial law, "suspended" Solidarity, arrested many of its leaders, and interned Walesa in a country house in a remote spot. Walesa was released in 1982 and he was awarded Peace Nobel Prize in 1983.
The Jaruzelski regime became even more unpopular as economic conditions worsened, and it was finally forced to negotiate with Walesa and his Solidarity colleagues. The result was the holding of parliamentary elections in 1989 which, although limited, led to the establishment of a non-communist government - first in Eastern Europe.
In November 1989 Walesa became the third person in history, after the Marquis de Lafayette and Winston Churchill, to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
In April 1990 at Solidarity's second national congress, Walesa was elected chairman with 77.5% of the votes. In December 1990 in a general ballot he was elected President of the Republic of Poland. He served until defeated in the election of November 1995.
Main altar of the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary is located at the end of wide and long main nave. It's very decorative and contains a painting of Holy Virgin Mary. It's the best lighted altar of the basilica as well.
Look at one more side altar of the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. There are always lighted candles in decorative candlesticks standing on all altars. And as usuall the painting which depects scenes from the holy bible.
LOOK UP :-)))
Look up at the vaults and decorated ceiling of the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. There are paintings - portraits of various famous priests there. The basilica was renovated recently and they look amazing now. Am I wrong?
There is a large colorfull painting on the ceiling of the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary just above the main nave. It depicts the bible scene of devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. Notice the holy cross with crucified Jesus Christ just below the painting.
ALTAR OF CHAPEL OF HOLY CROSS
There are a few side altars inside the Baroque Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. Don't miss them whenever you go inside. They look really interesting and... it's easier to take a picture of them during holy mass.
In the middle of the Chapel of the Holy Cross (also called Tomicka Chapel), there is a Neo Gothic altar in the colour of cream, built in 1903.
OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP
We saw the famous picture of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is in the Chapel of the Holy Cross inside the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. The picture arrived in Wadowice with redemptorist priests. No one knows who and when painted it.
The cult of Our Lady of Perpetual Help developed in the Wadowice Region at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth century.
The painting of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the one of the most popular images of St. Mary in the Christian world.
There is a side altar with large decorative candlesticks and two large ferns on both sides inside the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. I liked it a lot including the wall-painting above the altar (look at previous tip).
There are a lot of wall paintings inside the basilica. We found this wall-painting with crucified Jesus Christ above one of a few side altars inside the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary. Pay attention to the typical perspective, panoramic view in lower part of the painting.
The town square in front of the Basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary is called John Paul II square now (Plac Jana Pawla II).
There is a beautiful stone fountain there as you can see on my picture. The square seems to be favourite place to meet people in tiny town of Wadowice.
More Reviews (16)
- By car or...
- Take a tripod
- See All Take a picture there
- They close early
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Wadowice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birthplace of pope John Paul II"
- "Hometown of John Paul II"
- "Day trip from Krakow - Euromeet 2010"
- "Wadowice - ( Vah-do-vee-tsah)"
- "POPE in Krakow 1 + VT-er's opinions"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadowice
- Transportation in Wadowice
- Nightlife in Wadowice
- Restaurants in Wadowice
- Shopping in Wadowice
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadowice
- See All...
Explore the World
- Palm Desert
- Kelebang Besar Hotels
- Epe Hotels
- Lochmaben Hotels
- Rangkasbitung Hotels
- Sabine National Wildlife Refuge
- Vladimirskaya Oblast'
- Omaha Off The Beaten Path
- Punta Cana Off The Beaten Path
- Augustine Monastery
- Santiago Off The Beaten Path
- Philippines Off The Beaten Path
- Ikaria Island Off The Beaten Path
- Belgian Windmills
- La Romana Off The Beaten Path
- Peterborough Off The Beaten Path
- Air Margaritaville
- Stirling Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Wadowice
- 26 Reviews
- 300 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Wadowice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadowice
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues