Wadowice Things to Do Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Wadowice Things to Do: 14 reviews and 39 photos
BIRTHPLACE OF POPE JOHN PAUL II
Pope John Paul II was born as Charles Joseph Wojtyla 15th May 1920 in this house of Wojtyla family on my picture. The possesion was renovated and there is a museum there since 1984.
There are a lot of original papers of the pope and his photographs as well inside. Add personal belongings like his skis, backpack, oar and a lot of his hand-writings. In my opinion it's interesting museum worth of your visit if you are interested in life of John Paul II.
May - September:
9.00am - 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 6.00pm
October - April:
9.00am - midday and 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Closed on Monday.
Address: Ul. Koscielna 7 (7 Church St.), 34-100 Wadowice
Directions: Driving highway 96 from Krakow - towards Bielsko-Biala you can see a square with the basilica on your right side. Koscielna is a street along right wall of a basilica - a house is at the end, on right corner.
Phone: +48 (33) 8232662
BASILICA OF DEVOTION OF HOLY VIRGIN MARY
The Baroque parish Church of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary on the town square was constructed in the late 18th century, although the remodeled presbyterium dates back as far as the 15th century.
It was parish church of pope John Paul II and he was baptised there.He visited it as a pope three times: in 1979, 1991 and 1999. And John Paul II changed this local parish church into a minor basilica in 1992.
Address: Plac Jana Pawla II, 34-100 Wadowice, Poland
Directions: Town square (Rynek).
KATHY (KODI01) BY CITY MUSEUM
There is a town museum (Muzeum Miejskie) opposite to the pope's family house. There was a temporary exposition of photographs "Ground Zero - A Tribute to America" when we were there. We were too late to visit it but anyway Kathy from Dallas, Texas was touched to see such exposition there. Not at all coincidential place for such exposition, I think.
Pope John Paul II influences millions of lives, but also as a leading political figure he is known throughout the world for his doctrines of reconciliation and peace for all the people of the world.
There are always two expositions in the museum: "Galicyjskie Wadowice" (Galizian Wadowice) and "Hell's Angel".
Address: ul. Koscielna 4 (4 Church St.), 34-100 Wadowice
Directions: Opposite the family house of Pope John Paul II.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +48 (33) 8738100
NAVE OF BASILICA
Don't forget to get inside the basilica to see its very decorative interiors in Baroque style. The church has one wide nave and two aisles on both sides with numerous side altars.
Pope John Paul II was baptysed there. So you can find many commemorating plates devoted to him.
Address: Rynek (town square)
Directions: Driving highway 96 from Krakow - towards Bielsko-Biala you can see a square with the basilica on your right side.
More Reviews (22)
- By car or...
- Take a tripod
- See All Take a picture there
- They close early
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Wadowice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birthplace of pope John Paul II"
- "Hometown of John Paul II"
- "Day trip from Krakow - Euromeet 2010"
- "Wadowice - ( Vah-do-vee-tsah)"
- "POPE in Krakow 1 + VT-er's opinions"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadowice
- Transportation in Wadowice
- Nightlife in Wadowice
- Restaurants in Wadowice
- Shopping in Wadowice
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadowice
- See All...
Explore the World
- Grand Haven
- El Arrayán Hotels
- Kings Beach Hotels
- Matamata Hotels
- Haute-Normandie Hotels
Badges & Stats in Wadowice
- 26 Reviews
- 300 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Wadowice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadowice
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues