"Birthplace of pope John Paul II" Top 5 Page for this destination Wadowice by matcrazy1

Wadowice Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 394 photos

Basilica - parish church of pope

I and Kathy (Kodi01) visited Wadowice, birthplace of Roman catholic pope John Paul II. He was born at home located just by this basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary.

"The truth is not always the same as the majority decision"
John Paul II

Pope John Paul II born just in Wadowice, Poland in 1920, died today at 9.37 pm in Vatican. Sadness...
02 April 2005.

Although I am not crazy about religion, any religion, it's far more than the simple fact for me, it's also a lot of emotions. After death of John Paul II I wanted to go to his funeral but I had to stay at work. Instead I visited four times Krakow (JPII was bishop there), just Wadowice (his birthplace) and small village off the beaten path called Niegowic (he was a priest there in 1948-1949).

Step by step I am trying to put up my personal albums on my homepage, travelogues on the above mentioned pages as well as my hometown, Tychy and Poland page. I want to show you spirit of Poland in these unusual days and share some of my pictures, my thoughts and reflections and, first of all, pay tribute to the great man who taught millions in 122 countries, he visited, what tolerance to other people and religion is, what is freedom and human dignity. Enough to said.

Pope John Paul II

- 15th May 1920 born in Wadowice as Charles Joseph = Karol Jozef Wojtyla,
- 25th Sept. 1958 became bishop of Krakow,
- 16th Oct. 1978 was chosen Roman catholic pope in Vatican and took the name of John Paul II.

A tribute to America

There is a town museum next to the pope's family house. We found exposition of photographs: "Ground Zero - A Tribute to America" there.

• Pros:Birthplace of John Paul II - his house, church and museum
  • Cons:Not so comfortable to get there without a car
  • In a nutshell:Visit soil of great man!
  • Last visit to Wadowice: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 9, 2005

• lmc2626's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

lovely Wadowice, Republic of Poland

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM

This Pope was and is one of the more respected in my opinion. I saw his statue on his visit to Trsat in Croatia by Rijeka. YOu did a very nice job of picture taking and comments.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 6:50 AM

another of yours that I enjoyed very much

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 5:56 PM

Very nice page Matt I was nice to see Kathy in your pictures I remember Kathy going to visit you I think I even got a postcard ,not sure Looks nice this page

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Hello Matt, I've enjoyed your pages and tips. I've just started one of my own. Susan

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2005 at 1:03 PM

I liked reading about the day the Pope was elected. Must have been exciting to be in Poland. The basilica looks great!

• paulinuk2u's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 12:43 PM

my friend barbara lives in wadowice bet your pleased to know that

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 2:14 PM

A lot of information in this page on a very special place, loaded with memories, Walesa and Solidarnosk

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 10:02 PM

very interesting page Matt, many things I didn't know. good stuff. tks for sharing

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 5:18 AM

a nice special, Maciek! and you're not wrong, you're right: the basilica is looking marvellous! Thanks for this memorial of a great man! elisabeth

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Wadowice

Have you been to Wadowice?

Latest Activity in Wadowice