"Birthplace of pope John Paul II" Top 5 Page for this destination Wadowice by matcrazy1
Wadowice Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 394 photos
I and Kathy (Kodi01) visited Wadowice, birthplace of Roman catholic pope John Paul II. He was born at home located just by this basilica of Devotion of Holy Virgin Mary.
"The truth is not always the same as the majority decision"
John Paul II
Pope John Paul II born just in Wadowice, Poland in 1920, died today at 9.37 pm in Vatican. Sadness...
02 April 2005.
Although I am not crazy about religion, any religion, it's far more than the simple fact for me, it's also a lot of emotions. After death of John Paul II I wanted to go to his funeral but I had to stay at work. Instead I visited four times Krakow (JPII was bishop there), just Wadowice (his birthplace) and small village off the beaten path called Niegowic (he was a priest there in 1948-1949).
Step by step I am trying to put up my personal albums on my homepage, travelogues on the above mentioned pages as well as my hometown, Tychy and Poland page. I want to show you spirit of Poland in these unusual days and share some of my pictures, my thoughts and reflections and, first of all, pay tribute to the great man who taught millions in 122 countries, he visited, what tolerance to other people and religion is, what is freedom and human dignity. Enough to said.
- 15th May 1920 born in Wadowice as Charles Joseph = Karol Jozef Wojtyla,
- 25th Sept. 1958 became bishop of Krakow,
- 16th Oct. 1978 was chosen Roman catholic pope in Vatican and took the name of John Paul II.
There is a town museum next to the pope's family house. We found exposition of photographs: "Ground Zero - A Tribute to America" there.
- Pros:Birthplace of John Paul II - his house, church and museum
- Cons:Not so comfortable to get there without a car
- In a nutshell:Visit soil of great man!
We arrived to Wadowice by my car driving from Krakow via Kalwaria Zebrzydowska towards my hometown Tychy on Highway 96.... more travel advice
If you come to Wadowice after darkness you can still take a picture with house when pope John Paul II was born. Look at... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Wadowice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birthplace of pope John Paul II"
- "Hometown of John Paul II"
- "Day trip from Krakow - Euromeet 2010"
- "Wadowice - ( Vah-do-vee-tsah)"
- "POPE in Krakow 1 + VT-er's opinions"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadowice
- Transportation in Wadowice
- Nightlife in Wadowice
- Restaurants in Wadowice
- Shopping in Wadowice
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadowice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wadowice
- 26 Reviews
- 300 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Wadowice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadowice
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues