"Dedicated to Jacek Kaczmarski" Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw by matcrazy1

Warsaw Travel Guide: 2,951 reviews and 7,129 photos

More than history

This page is dedicated to the memory of great Polish poet, guitarist, singer and my great friend, Jacek Kaczmarski who has always been an inspiration to me...

More in travelogue: Tribute to Jacek Kaczmarski.

Wasaw mermaid and VT-meeting :-)

I was in Warsaw many times, including on 24 April 2004 for... the funeral of Jacek Kaczmarski. I was there as a kid and teenager and then as well but mainly on business with very limited time to visit the city itself.

I wanted to visit Warsaw's tourists attractions and meet my Warsaw's VT friends. And I did it during the VT-meeting (or better to say meetings) which took place on 20, 21 and 22 January, 2006. It was unforgettable time in my life for many reasons: friendship and hospitality of VT-friends, meeting so many interesting and various personalities, good laugh, a lot of fun, fascinating sightseeing, great eating out (and drinking out as well)... and at the end my first ever 5-star hotel paid by me lol!

Pictures from Warsaw VT-meeting January, 20-22, 2006 are hidden in various tips but first of all they are put in the following pages:

A. My 15 meeting galleries:
1. VT people invide Poland :-) - part 1/3

2. VT people invide Poland :-) - part 2/3

3. VT people invide Poland :-) - part 3/3
Follow the links on the bottom of each of the above pages.

B. My four travelogues below.

C. My General Tips (under the foundest memories) below (115 pictures)

City of many faces!

Warsaw - the largest city and the capital of Poland since 1595 when King Zygmunt III Waza moved his permanent residence, court and the crown headquarters from Cracow to Warsaw after Wawel Castle in Cracow burnt down.

What is Warsaw today?
City of breathtaking history, endless historical monuments, pearls of European architecture and great cultural events.
City of beautiful, tiny old town and ugly, chaotic downtown/centre.
City of science, lively student's life and universities.
City of Polish government, parliament, politicians, demonstrations and protests against everything.
Cosmopolitan city of skyscrapers, traffic jams, noise and of... parks, flowers, peace and quiet.
City of rich and poor, luxury top end stores and poor street vendors, big world business and beggars, high (we say Warsaw) and low prices.

City of contrasts you may love it or hate it. Definetely under-rated must see in Poland and central Europe.

• Pros:History (Uprising Museum, Royal Castle, memorials), architecture (palaces, churches), parks, cultural events, future :-)))
  • Cons:More cosmopolitan than Polish downtown, the capital of Poland ---> too many politicians with low political culture :-(((
  • In a nutshell:Don't move the capital back to Krakow, please!
  • Last visit to Warsaw: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2010

• kakapo's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Thank you for your wonderful pages about Warsaw - your love for this city really shines through.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Loads of info and great pics. Will need time to go through it all.

• Oct 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I generally found that the womens' shops and clothes for teenage boys were unattractive, vastly overpriced, drab, poor quality and very disappointing. I learnt to shop where the Polish people shop for quality items. Not here.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Hello, Maciek! It's a great and attractive page, as much as your beautiful capital, thanks!

• poons's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 6:16 AM

To visit more of Poland - I cannot wait. See you there! (and Ukraine, and Romania, and Hungary, and Slovakia I hope - haha you know I'm a sucker for a road-trip. :o))

• polakita's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Hi just to update your text: Bristol now is on the second position, and the most expensive is La Regina (at the end of the Old Town). Bristol now will cost around EUR 240 during week and EUR 130 on the weekend (about USD 180).

• Aug 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I regularly visit Warsaw to visit my wife's family and can say that Domowe Okruszek make the best pierogi in all of Poland. We even served their pierogi at our wedding!

• johnjoe55's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Hi Matt, I enjoyed your Warsaw pages and tips very much, I had a great time in Warsaw and could put your tips to good use. THANKS.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Hi Matt, we have just been to Warsaw - thanks for your tips which have been a invaluable help to get to know this city better. We liked it a lot and had a wonderful stay there!

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM

♫♫I wish you a Merry Xmas♫I wish you a Merry Xmas♫♫I wish you a Merry Xmas♫and a Happy Birthday♫♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU♫HAPPY BD TO YOU♫♫ HAPPY BD TO MATT♫HAPPY BD TO YOU (~_~)

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw