"Learn the truth about the Soviet Union" Grutas by matcrazy1
Grutas Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 170 photos
This page is dedicated to Grutas Park located in a village of Grutas, very close to Druskininkai, the best European balneology resort! (chosen by Eurepean edition of "Newsweek" magazine). The Soviet era monuments, torn down in 1989 and brought from Lithuanian cities, were expansively laid out in Grutas Park.
I found this unique place at least a little bit controversial. After communism fall down in 1989, there was the idea of putting up similar park in my country, Poland. But it was against Polish new constitution which forbided publicizing and supporting any totalitarian system like communism or fascism in any way. Well, are there any museums of fascism or Adolf Hitler anywhere? Hmm... I was always confused (and still I am) that communist parties were legal in many countries of Western Europe... Well, small minorities and extremities but...
I hesitated a long time before making the decision to visit Grutas Park. Being born in Poland, on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, I remember well times of Soviet rule and similar monuments in Poland (luckily not as many as in the Soviet republics) which we (kids or teens that time) disliked very much. And I didn't like to support this not so old past in any way. Well, at the same time, we liked people of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania etc. a lot. Is it called Slavic unity or soul?
Finally, I decided to visit the Park and now, I can say that it was right decision.
Well, I appreciated educational value of the park, especially for younger generations and for those who were lucky to live far away of Soviet rules. Personally, I concentrated on historical parts of exhibitions in a few pavillons and I got to know more about communism, Lithuanians and its struggle for independence against Soviet rule. There was a kind of small zoo located in the park as well.
- Pros:Great educational value, nature (lakes and forests)
- Cons:Shouldn't it be forbided? (I mean publicising totalitarian systems like communism, fascism)
- In a nutshell:Go to learn the truth about the Soviet Union!
For walking around Grutas Park, small, city backpack and surely bag for your camera - both water-proof esp. in... more travel advice
This huge monument, on my picture, was devoted to underground Soviet Partisans who fighted for joining Lithuania to the... more travel advice
- See All Taking pictures of animals
- See All Mini-zoo
- See All Blue composition
- See All The only restaurant
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Grutas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Learn the truth about the Soviet Union"
- "Grutas park - look into communism and Soviet Union"
- "GRUTAS PARKAS"
- "Grutas, Lithuania"
- "Gruto Parkas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grutas
- Transportation in Grutas
- Restaurants in Grutas
- Shopping in Grutas
- Warnings and Dangers in Grutas
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grutas
- 99 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Grutas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grutas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues