"My first impressions from Lithuania" Kalvarija by matcrazy1

Kalvarija Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 28 photos

On the first day in European Union

I entered mysterious Lithuania for the first time in my life just there (look above), exactly on the day when Lithuania (and 9 other countries including Poland) joined European Union that was on May 1, 2004. Can you see those small blue balloons (with EU stars, believe me) put to celebrate that event. Haha, isn't my picture a little bit historical?

First impressions

I am like a kid in a candy store when I visit a country for the first time :-)). So, this page is more about my first observations and impressions than about places I visited there.

One of the first impression was that Lithuania seemed to be a very green country with somewhat secret and idyllic countryside, just like on my picture.

Off the beaten path :-)

I drove from Polish border to Kalvarija and before I entered its downtown/centre I turned right to a secondary highway 134 to Lazdijai and Druskininkai, definitively off the beaten path :-))).

Keep in mind that crossing border between Poland and Lithuania (and futher up to Latvia and Estonia) takes not more than 1 minute (!) now. There is only passport check up (no more customs check up!). And for EU members national ID is enough, no more passports!

• Pros:Green lanscapes, simple life, idyllic countryside
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:No border soon :-)))
  • Last visit to Kalvarija: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2006

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Howdy Matt! Hope all is well. I still have my little green Echo! As always I enjoy the first class tour of Kalvarija! Nice page!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 9:50 AM

I didn't know Lithuania joined the EU. Interesting page.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 4:11 AM

Well now i know where to go to get my car cleaned lol, some beautiful countryside around there as well.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 4:59 AM

Very enjoyable page on Kalvarija Matt. I liked how you disputed the prejudices / myths about Lithuania - most were not even true.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 3:26 AM

Sometimes it's much more interesting to read about unknown places than about popular ones. It is so in this case, for sure. And your tip about prejudices is very thought-provoking.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 6:27 AM

The name of the place recalls me one of the most beautiful towns in Malopolska - close to both of us.:-)

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 6:11 AM

Always interesting to read someones first impressions. Seems many countries are reducing speed limits. A memorable day to cross the border. Interesting photos.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 2:20 AM

A very good page on your historical visit. It always brings great memories to visit a country before there are any tourists!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 1:54 PM

A very nice page with lots of curious observations! Your list of true and false prejudices is especially interesting and valuable.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 5:44 AM

Do daisies taste acid??? I hadn't known... I'll have same for lunch, then!!! ;-)

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Kalvarija

Have you been to Kalvarija?

Latest Activity in Kalvarija