Kaunas Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Kaunas Tourist Traps: 7 reviews and 5 photos
NO DIRECTION SIGNS AT TOWN HALL SQUARE
There were very few direction signs for drivers in Kaunas centre (it worked better outside) even along main streets. They were often not well seen, so that it was easy to get lost.
Unique Suggestions: Stop and buy a map. They were available in petrol stations, bookstores and kiosks. Buy at least a leaflet Kaunas/Klaipeda from series In your pocket for 8.00 Lt which contained maps of Kaunas. Check your itinerary.
Have a helpful passanger in a car like I had :-).
Fun Alternatives: Buy GPS receiver and map of Lithuania with GPS. Learn how to use it (easy!)
Keep smiling and do NOT skip Kaunas :-).There were many other beautiful and not the most thoughtfully signposted cities in many countries I visited and... I would never skip them.
PICTURE OF DEVIL TAKEN AT WRONG ANGLE
It was very difficult to take good pictures of... devils displayed in the Museum of Devils. They were put in glass cases and not always well lighted. I had to take pictures through windowpanes and to use built in flash of my camera.
Unique Suggestions: My common mistakes and solutions:
1. with camera flash put in front and exactly or almost perpendicularly to a windowpane of a glass case I received... look at my picture. The solution: put your flash at an angle to a windowpane or use additional flash with light reflected.
2. with camera put too close to an object (a devil) I received over-exposed, white pictures. Solution: better take a picture from a distance and eventually zoom in (hmm... longer exposure needed = a tripod maybe necessary).
3. with a camera put too distant I received dark pictures. Solution: use additional, better flash (hmm... they often cost a fortune) or put your camera closer to an object or use a tripod and longer exposure.
Fun Alternatives: Do not take any pictures there...
Walking around the Old Town of Kaunas my eyes enjoyed looking at beautiful, mostly renovated or at least painted recently, old houses. Unfortunately this ugly building, on my picture, was put among them. Hmm... it suited there like, excuse, a saddle for a pig.
Unique Suggestions: Do not look at it.
Fun Alternatives: Close your eyes or... buy the house and reconstruct it.
More Reviews (294)
- See All Nude symbol of Kaunas
- See All No paper boxes
- See All Temporarily closed streets
- See All No vacancy?
- See All Kaunas in Europe?
- See All Sculpture in the air :-)
- See All Lithuanian, wooden cross
- See All More info?
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All Where and what to eat in Kaunas?
- See All Good night and sweet dreams :-)
- See All Walking/hiking around
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Kaunas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming, peaceful, quiet and old"
- "Kaunas - the second largest city in Lithuania"
- "Kaunas - Lithuania's most Lithuanian city"
- "Really liked this place........"
- "Kaunas - Lithuanian capital in interwar period"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaunas
- Hotels in Kaunas
- Transportation in Kaunas
- Nightlife in Kaunas
- Restaurants in Kaunas
- Shopping in Kaunas
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaunas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaunas
- 297 Reviews
- 308 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaunas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues