"Charming, peaceful, quiet and old" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas by matcrazy1
Kaunas Travel Guide: 960 reviews and 1,679 photos
I found Kaunas, the second largest city of Lithuania and its former capital, a very peaceful and quiet city, full of pretty and different in style old architecture which reflected complicated history of the city. Add its very interesting and unique museums.
The Old Town of Kaunas was charming, somewhat secret with unique atmosphere of the old days. In contrast to many European old towns it was not full of crowds, not commercialized (yet?). Walking around don't look for hundreds fast food restaurants, touristy "gift stores" etc. look for pure, authentic, sometimes a little bit neglected, old architecture.
One of the most fascinating structures in Kaunas was Russian Orthodox church but there were many more interesting, old buildings including for example tiny mosque... More in my tips. You are welcome :-).
- Pros:History, architecture, museums, peace and quiet, food, beer, prices
- Cons:Not the best signposted city (for drivers)
- In a nutshell:Pure and authentic old Europe!
There were very few direction signs for drivers in Kaunas centre (it worked better outside) even along main streets.... more travel advice
This complex of modern buildings, on my picture, was put in southeastern corner of Nepriklausomybes aikste (Independence... more travel advice
- See All No paper boxes
- See All Temporarily closed streets
- See All No vacancy?
- See All Kaunas in Europe?
- See All Sculpture in the air :-)
- See All Lithuanian, wooden cross
- See All More info?
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All Where and what to eat in Kaunas?
- See All Good night and sweet dreams :-)
- See All Walking/hiking around
Been to Kaunas?Share your travels with the world!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Kaunas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming, peaceful, quiet and old"
- "Kaunas - the second largest city in Lithuania"
- "Kaunas - Lithuania's most Lithuanian city"
- "Really liked this place........"
- "Kaunas - Lithuanian capital in interwar period"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaunas
- Hotels in Kaunas
- Transportation in Kaunas
- Nightlife in Kaunas
- Restaurants in Kaunas
- Shopping in Kaunas
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaunas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaunas
- 297 Reviews
- 308 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaunas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues