"Still undiscovered little pearl of Lithuania" Kedainiai by matcrazy1

Kedainiai Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 215 photos

Why Kedainiai?

I visited Kedainai at least for the two reasons: first this town was marked with 1 star (interesting point) on my map and second: I knew that name (or more exactly Polish name Kiejdany) from "The Deluge", the historical novel by Sienkiewicz, famous Polish writer and Nobel Prize winner in literature in 1905.
Another great Polish writer and poet awarded Nobel prize in 1980, Milosz was born in Seteiniai, very close to Kedainiai, in 1911. Is this the country of poets and writers?

I was very, very surpriced to see
small and empty old town with very picterusque old wooden houses, impressive churches and beautiful banks of Nevezis River. I was later told that the only one historical old town among smaller Lithuanian towns survived just there, in Kedainiai.

Churches

There are many remainings of very colorful and complicated - both glorious and sad - history of Kedainiai. I found churches of various religions and they were mostly full of prayers on Saturday afternoon.

Go and enjoy :-)

Go to Kedainiai to enjoy your eyes !!! Hurry up, to arrive before hordes of tourists and before they paint the city in new, modern patterns (hopefully never!). I was there on time haha.

• Pros:No tourists, architecture, very friendly locals, low prices
  • Cons:No tourists :-), not as low prices as I expected, neglected housing districts in the surroundings
  • In a nutshell:Escape to lovely and very historical town!
  • Last visit to Kedainiai: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2004

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Very interesting page. Beautiful old and renovated churches and buildings. I guess if I went I could eat soup.

• vj_nija's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 6:25 AM

It's just amazing!!!! No other words. Kedainiai is the town I grew up, went to scool. Now I visit it sometimes - it became even more beautifull. Thank you very much for this deep and positive poit of vew! And for inviting tone. - Best travels for you!

• kikalena's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2005 at 2:46 AM

Very interesting and informative pages on Lithuania! Think I'll find them very useful when I go there. Thanks a lot.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 3:08 AM

What a contrast between the lovely houses you show on your walking tour and those neglected buildings ! Parking anywhere is a dream that is now less and less often fulfilled ! I feel I should hurry up for a visit !

• MedioLatino's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 12:01 AM

Hi Maciek! How do you end up on such places?? Nice page! :)

• wojsyl's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 1:36 PM

The best guide of Kedainiai I've ever seen. I'm so glad you were there before me and now I can use your advice :-)

• Polskigirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 9:17 AM

Hi Macieck. This town looks like lovelly and quiet place. Amaizing old housses. I liked this page so much. Hugs for both of you. What Ursula ate???

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 11:22 AM

Beautiful country wih beautiful people. Thanks for sharing your travels with us! I love to walk around instead of driving if it can be helped. You see and catch so much more that way. Love the old buildings. Thanks!!!

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 7:14 AM

I never heard of this place but feel like now I know it much better after reading and looking at your picts. Those hidden towns and villages is what I like to find while traveling.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2004 at 1:07 AM

These kinds of towns can give you a REAL feeling of what an area truly is!!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Kedainiai

Have you been to Kedainiai?

Latest Activity in Kedainiai