"Grey past and bright future" Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai by matcrazy1

Siauliai Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 520 photos

History and future

Most visitors pass by Siauliai (pop. 130,000) on the way to the famous Hill of Crosses located in a one-horse village called Naisiai, only 12 km (9 mi) north of Siauliai downtown. But I decided to stop there to visit the cathedral and to eat something. Well, I can't say this city impressed me but the cathedral looked great, young locals I was talking to were very friendly and Lithuanian pancakes in Presto cafe were the best :-).

City born in 1236 has no old town

Why? Well, Siauliai was devastated many times through ages, the last time at the end of WWII. After the war, during Soviet occupation, the new city was built but mostly in Soviet style.

• Pros:Cathedral, eating out, young and friendly locals, future!
  • Cons:It's an industrial and commercial city, grey, ugly, Soviet-style streets
  • In a nutshell:Enjoy delicious crepes and old, impressive Cathedral!
  • Last visit to Siauliai: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2007

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Excellent information and beautiful pics.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Matt, another fabulous page about Lithuania. Your page brings back many memories of my visit of Siauliai. I even stayed for one night and have also been to the Presto Cafe. I like your tips about the Soviet past. :o)

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Indeed superb pages with updates on Siauliai.Didn't realise there were pagans still knocking around in Europe in the 14th Century, Hungarians converted at the turn of the 1st Millenium. Cockerels speaking in Yiddish..Gr8 insight Matt.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Matt, another interesting page of Lithuania. I hope I will find also the time to build my Lithuanian pages some day, but maybe I have to accept to wait till my retirement, lol.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM

It is always excellent to read your opinions of life in the aftermath of the Soviet regime! It truly is sad how the older population was left high and dry when it all came to its inevitable end. Thanks for this inside view Matt.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 10:55 AM

The cathedral has got a very interesting architecture! The white interior remember me a cathedral I met in Normandie.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Nice page! I havent normally explored Siauliai myslelf:) Have you seen that sculpture of "golden archer"? ;) I think I seen only cathedral, that sculpture and hill of crosses ;)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 6:47 AM

The Siauliai cathedral is beautiful in its simplicity, but there really are many shades of grey in the city. The lovely flower boxes shown on one of your tips, did much to add color and vibrance to that little corner of the world! Wonderful tips!

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 9:13 AM

I'm sure the Catholics were persecuted during the occupation. It was the same in Romania with the Greek Catholic church and I can confirm that our priests baptized kids at night. The Cathedral looks interesting and I loved reading your descriptions.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Another great page that says all their needs to be said on a destination.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Siauliai

Have you been to Siauliai?

Latest Activity in Siauliai