"For history, lakes and... Turkish food lovers :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Trakai by matcrazy1

Trakai Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 635 photos

Castle on an island

Trakai is a small town founded in the 14th century, only 28 km west of Vilnius. My eyes enjoyed a lot looking at lovely castle located on an island, my stomach was happy to taste unique Karaime cousine, my mind was fascinating with the old history of the area displayed in the castle museums.

I found Trakai a very interesting place and lovely place to visit, simply a must see whenever you are in Lithuania.

Landscapes

Colours of these boats on my picture reminded me boats from... Malta. But the landscape was surely more green :-).

Swans

There were many swans, including these ones, coated by grey fur baby-swans, on my picture. They were waiting for my food. Hmm... I didn't feed them.

• Pros:Castle with museum (history!), lanscapes, water sports, watching visitors :-), Karaime food
  • Cons:No vacancy, too few accommodations :-(
  • In a nutshell:History and nature for you !
  • Last visit to Trakai: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2004

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Trakai looks great. It is surprise that I may eat Turkish foods at Trakai. Tatar style... I wll try soon...:-))

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Great Page...looking forward to visiting Trakai in October...Thanks for the great tips. Brian

• bonio's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Ahh, great food, beer and basketball tips, looking forward to my visit next month - nice page, thanks

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 8:34 AM

Great castle, must see it someday. Very good pictures and interesting useful tips. Those dolls of nurses could scare anybody. The cold beetroot soup (chlodnik) is well-known in my part of Poland and is my favourite, but we eat it without potatoes.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Fantastic place!!! Great info and photos!!

• camilo74's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 7:51 AM

Hi! Beautiful place!! made me wish being on holidays

• Nov 18, 2005 at 11:40 AM

Very nice page with great photos!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 12:53 PM

Kibinai - that looks like a Cornish Pasty! (from Cornwall, England.) They are usually made with beef and vegetables.

• vysnaite's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 10:16 AM

Pepe is Peppy, a girl with two different long socks. man you do need to catch up on Astrida Lingrend books for kids! ;-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 9:02 PM

Trakai's castle looks like an history book castle! There are not many castles that have their wooden parts. Often, they have been destroyed and never rebuilt. Karaim people are unexpected, so far from Turkey! Kibinai is like Turkisk börek. Excellent page

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Trakai