Vilnius Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Vilnius Tourist Traps: 16 reviews and 12 photos
CROWNE PLAZA VILNIUS
During my second visit (by a car) to Lithuania I visited a few off the beaten paths and I wanted to spend a night at Trakai - lovely town close to Vilnius - but there was NO vacancy at any hotel there. By the way it was Thursday, not weekend.
So, I had to drive to Vilnius. I marked a few hotels on my Vilnius map, hotels easy to get to by a car before reaching city centre and...
1. I didn't find two first of them marked on Vilnius map: "Mano kelia" - hmm... the area of huge apartments buildings around didn't look nice in any way, so I stoped to look for it, I couldn't find Joalina hotel as well (night and no signs),
2. No way, I had to drive to city centre. Hmm... there was no vacancy in the first two hotels: Velga and Revis. I started to get a little bit nervous. In the third hotel: Hotel Zemaites which looked very nice but was fully booked as well, I asked the receptionist to call to any other hotel. She didn't want to do it, I think but she finally called to 3 or 4 other hotels and replied that there was no vacancy in any. She explained that all hotels were usually empty but that day they were fully booked by groups from Poland. And she adviced us to drive to Europa City hotel.
3. In Europa Hotel a very nice guy - receptionist said: "sorry, no vacancy but please wait a minute". He started to call somewhere and finally he asked whether we accepted the special prize of approx. 270 Lt (lower than regular price) in another, very good hotel. When we said yes he asked us about surname and called again to that hotel to make immediate reservation. Well, he explained us how to get to Crowne Plaza hotel by a car. Well, the prize 270 Lt was really below the regular prize for that very good hotel.
Unique Suggestions: Don't be nervous like me in the 5th hotel haha, keep smiling and drive/call to 6th... 15th etc. There are many, more and more hotels in Vilnius.
Vilnius was mostly visited by thousands of Polish visitors during Polish long weekends that was close to:
- 1-3 May,
- in June when Corpus Christi catholic holiday is (always on Thursday, I was just that time!)
- in August (15th is catholic holiday).
Expect no vacancy and book in advance for these days!
Fun Alternatives: Book in advance! More in my Hotels & Accommodations tips.
TV TOWER I HAD TO SKIP :-(((
Well, there were direction signs from Vilnius downtwn/centre to highway (signed as a freeway/motorway) A-1 (E85) to Kaunas although they were not repeated and along a few kilometers I didn't know whether I chose right way. Do NOT expect both in Vilnius and in Kaunas right put direction signs that is with distances and numbers of highways, put before, on and repeated after at least the main crossroads.
When I was driving to the TV Tower I got lost 3 times and it took me over 1 and a half hour! Finally with my limited time I had to skip it, more: I had to skip Trakai as well as it was too late to visit it.
There was one direction sign to the TV tower close to Vilnius downtown/centre and... nothing more. So, I tried to get there just looking at the tower. Well, I have only schematic map of Vilnius suburbs, my mistake. Next time...
Unique Suggestions: Hmm... at least I was lucky to see a few off the beaten paths more when I got lost... If it makes any difference for you, these things (signing roads) went worse (much worse) in the former Soviet Union and in Riga, Latvia even now in 2004.
Fun Alternatives: Buy detailed map of Vilnius with its suburbs and TV tower marked. And watch carefully your itinerary before you go. In case of problems stop and check your location on the map again and again. Keep smiling and... good luck :-) Try not to get to Belarus, it's only 35 km away.
More Reviews (387)
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All More info?
- See All Four must see activities!
- See All On the top but not my recommendation
- See All Wait, wait and again wait
- See All Poor choice, high prices
- See All Lithuanian wooden statues-chapels
- See All Pilsudski then and now
- See All Trolleybuses - save them, please!
- See All Nude bathing?
- See All General information
- Concerts, discos, live music...
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Explore the World
- Honningsvåg Hotels
- Alexandroupolis Hotels
- Battambang Hotels
- Shengjin Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 389 Reviews
- 431 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 78 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- updated a Vilnius Travelogue "Key to understand East now"
- Commented on one of Sexy_European's Vilnius travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lithuanian, Polish and Belarusian heroes"
- Wrote a Review Weather, walking shoes, a tripod... in Vilnius What to Pack
Photos in VilniusSee All Photos (431)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Vilnius hotel reviews
- Radisson SAS Astorija Hotel Vilnius
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Vila Valakampiai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2012
- Telecom Guest House
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Filaretai Youth Hostel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Vilnius Old Town Hostel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Le Meridien Villon Resort
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Rudninku Vartai
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Domus Maria
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Hotel Sarunas
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Neringa Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Tilto
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Best Eastern City Gate
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Gediminas castle- 62 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Cathedral- 66 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Gates of Dawn- 38 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Uzupis district- 27 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Church of St Ann- 39 Reviews, 67 Photos
- TV tower- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Gedimino avenue- 13 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Church of Sts Peter and Paul- 19 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Church of St. Francis and Bernardine- 24 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Statue of king Mindaugas- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
See All Vilnius Things to Do