Vilnius Off The Beaten Path Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination

Vilnius Off The Beaten Path: 140 reviews and 175 photos

VILNIUS  TV  TOWER - Vilnius

VILNIUS TV TOWER

TV Tower and Lithuanian independence TV tower Review

The skyline of Vilnius is dominated by TV Tower located in the suburbs, southwest of the centre/downtown. With the height of 326 m (1071 ft) it was the tallest tower in Lithuania and the second tallest in the Baltic states after TV tower in Riga, Latvia.

At the height of 165 m there was
a revolving cafe ("Paukaciu takas" = Milky Way) with an observation deck of possible visibility up to 50 km on clear day. I was told that there were bungee jumps from the deck for 200 Lt (60 ? or $50). More: click here.

The tower is a symbol of Lithuanian fight for independence against Soviet occupation.
On 13th January 1991 Soviets tried to regain control over Lithuania. First they wanted to take control over TV Tower. Thousands Lithuanians blocked the way, 13 died under Soviet tanks and many were wounded by bullets. Despite desperate resistance, Soviet troops managed to take control over the tower till Russia recognized Lithuanian independence almost half a year later. More on the TV tower massacre: read here.
There was a monument commemorating these tragic events I wanted to visit but... read in my tourist trap tip, please.

Address:
Sausio 13-osios st. 10,
LT-2050 Vilnius,
Lithuania

Hours:
Booking office for the Observation Deck:
Daily 10.00 am - 9.00 pm.
The observation deck:
Daily 10.00 am - 10.00 pm
Cafe "Milky Way":
Daily 10.00 am - 10.00 pm

Admission fee:
12 Lt or 15 Lt (1 May - 15 Sept.).

Other Contact: info@lrtc.net

HERE  LIVED  JULIUSZ  SLOWACKI - Vilnius

HERE LIVED JULIUSZ SLOWACKI

Memorial to great Polish poet Statues and fountains Review

Great Polish poet and writer Juliusz Slowacki (1809–49) lived, attended primary school and gymnasium in Vilnius. Then he studied... law at Vilnius university. He left Vilnius in 1828. After anti-tzar uprising in 1830-31 he couldn't come back, had to go into exile and finally moved to Paris, France.

I found his house in Vilnius - at the main street of the old town: Pilies gatve at # 22 - definetely not off the beaten path. It housed medical college of Vilnius University where his father Prof. Euzebiusz Slowacki lived. But
this memorial to Slowacki on my picture was hidden in a backyard of the house, rather off the beaten path. Go through the gate and look at second floor of the house to the left, where "Narucio antikvariatas" was housed.

MOSKVICH-412 - Vilnius

MOSKVICH-412

Original Soviet Moskvich! Sovietic-era buildings and other relicts Review

It took me much time to find any original Soviet car in Vilnius in 2004 but finally I found a few old Lada/Zsiguli and that one car on my picture parked in one backyard: original, white Soviet Moskvich-412 produced up till 1997! I am enough old to remember these cars mainly from my trips with my parents through former Soviet Union (Ukraine now) in 70' and 80'. Look at its old- fashionable roof rack - really, brilliant example of the best quality of powerful state of ever lasting happines which ruled over half of our globe.

Hurry up - you will be able to see that cars exclusively in a museum soon, very soon! Or maybe go to Russia, do they still drive Moskvich cars in Russia?

MONUMENT  OF  13TH  JANUARY - Vilnius

MONUMENT OF 13TH JANUARY

For victims of 13th January TV tower Review

I wanted to visit TV tower during my first visit to Vilnius but... read in my tourist trap tip, please. Well, during the second trip I had two quite good and detailed maps of Vilnius and finally I got there.

When I parked my car, first I saw round lawn full of not cut grass with crosses and sculptures put around. It was a monument commemorating tragic events of 13th January 1991 when thirteen civilians were shot dead or crushed by advancing Soviet tanks.

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

GRUSAS  ON  THE  WALL - Vilnius

GRUSAS ON THE WALL

Top Lithuanian art on the top TV tower Review

There was exposition of contemporary painting at the observation deck of Vilnius TV tower that was 165 m (541 ft) above earth level. I got to know that it was anniversary exhibition of artist Bronius Grusas which take place there in summer-autumn season.

Grusas is the most famous Lihuanian painter and founder of a new technique: glass and plastic. His paintings were displayed on expositions in Germany, Sweden, Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Bolgaria. His paintings (hmm... expensive) are in private collections in the USA, Canada, Israel, Japan, italy, Spain, France and Bolgaria.

BINOCULARS AT OBSERVATION DESK OF VILNIUS TV TOWER - Vilnius

BINOCULARS AT OBSERVATION DESK OF VILNIUS TV TOWER

Zoom, zoom, zoom TV tower Review

To see any details from the observation deck of Vilnius TV tower I had to zoom, zoom and zoom. Well, I didn't look through the binoculars on my picture. Instead, I used 7 x optical zoom of my camera and 12 x optical zoom of my movie camera.
Enjoy! Happy zooming!

GREY  AND  GREEN  WORLD - Vilnius

GREY AND GREEN WORLD

Soviet style grey apartment buildings Districts of Vilnius Review

From the observation deck of Vilnius TV tower I could see never ending districts of grey, huge, Soviet-style apartment buildings. I must admit than they looked quite better from the far distance than at closer look.

The life in Soviet-style grey apartment buildings packed with small flats must be grey although there was green paradise around...
In my country, Poland, most of these apartment buldings were painted in various colours in recent years. But, did it make life less grey ?

NEW  ARCHITECTURE - Vilnius

NEW ARCHITECTURE

New comes :-))) Modern buildings Review

I had to zoom when I was walking around the observation deck of Vilnius TV tower. And...in the middle of cement desert of Soviet-style identical grey apartments buildings I saw... look at my picture. Quite pretty oasis and sign of new times, am I wrong? More, please!

VILLAGE  IN  HEART  OF  VILNIUS - Vilnius

VILLAGE IN HEART OF VILNIUS

Village in heart of a city :-) Districts of Vilnius Review

I was walking around round observation deck of Vilnius TV tower and I was looking for interesting places to visit by my car after.

And... look at my picture, please.
I found this "village" located along Neris River just in the geographical middle of the city of Vilnius (600,000 citizens). Who lived there? Was there idyllic life there? Hmm... very close to grey life among grey apartment buildings.

VILNIUS  DOWNTOWN/CENTER  (ENLARGE) - Vilnius

VILNIUS DOWNTOWN/CENTER (ENLARGE)

Four must see activities!

Look at the downtown/centre of Vilnius seen from the observation deck of Vilnius TV tower.

Well, I visited and recognized 4 buildings (must see activities) on my picture,
from the bottom left:
- Znamienska Orthodox Church (1903),
- Lithuanian parliament building (1982),
- classical in style building of National Library of Lithuania (1963),
- Church of St. Philip and St. James (end of 17th century).

• Written Jul 8, 2004

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Vilnius

Have you been to Vilnius?

Top 10 Vilnius Things to Do