"Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by matcrazy1
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,745 reviews and 3,598 photos
I found Vilnius unique city of fascinating past and great future, I am sure, now; city full of hundreds places to discover (believe or not I didn't touch even half!). City of great multicultural, Lithuanian, Polish and Jewish past, always city of dialogue. City where the end of the Soviet Empire started thanks to free minds of its citizens. Look above at the picture painted by anonymous author on the barricade which was put up by the parliament bulding surrounded by Soviet troops in January 1991.
I was keeping my fingers crossed for Lithuanian independence in 1989 - 1991 and as great Polish poet and my friend Kaczmarski sang in his song "The fall of the Soviet Union" in 1991: "a neighbour Lithuania has its independence and I myself feel somewhat more independent".
There are amazing old cities like say Florence, Italy or Krakow, Poland or I am sure Jerusalem in Israel which are never to forget because of their great historical soul and inspiring atmosphere. Now, I add Vilnius here. Why? Welcome to my travelogues and tips... if you are enough patient :-) I created real monster there.
Vilnius taught me to respect sometimes quite different views of Lithuanians and Poles on past history of the city. Vilnius was inhabited by Poles (54%), Jews (41%) and Lithuanians (1.6%) in 1917 (German census).
And since my visit to Vilnius I understand much better feelings of... Germans who (or their parents) lived in what is now called Poland and who come to visit or spend last years of their life in their old German homeland, Poland now.
Well, in Vilnius I had to think over changing borders, moving nations, ethnic cleanings, nationalism, Soviet regime which ruled over half of our globe in not so old past. I thought about (less and less :-) divided Central and Western Europe and genesis of quite different development of these areas, about fast economic changes and not so fast changes in human minds, about (more and more) isolated part of Europe futher East. Well, some my thoughts... in my travelogues. Welcome :-)
The Old Town od Vilnius is one of largest among European cities and full of architectural pearls. I doubt whether you find more Baroque churches and buildings in any other city in Europe. I didn't as for now. It's the most eastern and the largest Baroque city north of the Alps.
No wonder that Vilnius Historic Centre is inscribed on The World Heritage List by UNESCO.
Vilnius is changing fast nowadays.The city after over 50 years of Soviet occupation came back very, very fast to Europe but in good way that was with great respect to its glorious heritage. Well, it's still a lot of to do... Huge work is going on. Good luck, Vilnius :-)
Well, since Lithuania joined European Union on 1st May 2004, some prices are higher and higher. But anyway, they are mostly much lower than in any Western European capital, but in say... 10 years... who knows. Better do visit Vilnius just now!
- Pros:History, architecture (esp. Baroque), Lithuanian food, friendly atmosphere, still inexpensive area
- In a nutshell:Escape to secret and lovely little Rome
For walking around Vilnius, small, city backpack and surely bag for your camera - both water-proof. Comfortable walking... more travel advice
I was driving by car to Vilnius and I was driving around Vilnius as well. So, I had to buy maps of Vilnius. If you are... more travel advice
- See All On the top but not my recommendation
- See All Wait, wait and again wait
- See All Poor choice, high prices
- See All Lithuanian wooden statues-chapels
- See All Pilsudski then and now
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 389 Reviews
- 431 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 72 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- updated a Vilnius Travelogue "Key to understand East now"
- Commented on one of Sexy_European's Vilnius travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lithuanian, Polish and Belarusian heroes"
- Wrote a Review Weather, walking shoes, a tripod... in Vilnius What to Pack
Photos in VilniusSee All Photos (431)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues