"Olomouc, Stramberk and Novi Jicin" Olomouc by matcrazy1
Olomouc Travel Guide: 328 reviews and 1,155 photos
Would you like to ride this turtle? Visit Olomouc :-). As I know turtles don't live in Olomouc, hmm... maybe a few in pet store.
The city is beautiful - really worth of your visit.
Why visit Olomouc?
1. Amazing architecture of the Old Town:
- narrow, lovely streets,
- Horni and Dolni Namesti (Upper and Lower Square) with Town Hall building and lovely old and new fountains (the new one with the turtle on the pic),
- "some of old buildings are very similar to buildings in my hometown Ljubljana" - from Olga (olja1234),
2. beer - you must taste it (if you like),
3. the Old Town is easy to walk and is still not over-crowded (I was on Sunday and the city looked empty :-),
4. this region of Czech is much cheaper then Prague,
5. Olomouc is good base for trips to nearby Stramberk (amazing wooden old houses) and Novi Jicin.
Some date from encyclopaedia (I don't like it on VT but Olomouc is unknown place so I decided to put it here):
(ô´lômots) , Ger. Olmütz, city (1991 pop. 105,537), E central Czech Republic, in Moravia, on the Morava River. Olomouc is an industrial city, with factories producing machinery, appliances, and food products, especially candy and chocolate. An ancient town, it was once the leading city of Moravia and was strongly fortified. In 1242, Wenceslaus II of Bohemia defeated the Mongol invaders there. Also at Olomouc, in 1469, Matthias Corvinus, king of Hungary, had himself crowned king of Bohemia. The city was held by the Swedes from 1642 to 1650. In 1758, Frederick II besieged it unsuccessfully. An agreement between Austria and Prussia was signed there (1850), dissolving the German Union under Prussia's presidency and restoring the German Confederation, headed by Austria. Prussia smarted under the “humiliation of Olmütz” until 1866, when it defeated Austria in war. Present-day landmarks include the Cathedral of St. Wenceslaus (begun 12th cent.), the city hall (rebuilt 13th cent.), and two Gothic churches. Also in the city are a university (founded 1566), the Cyril-Methodius theological faculty, and several libraries. The Marquis de Lafayette was once imprisoned in Olomouc's fortress. Today there are lovely parks and gardens where the fortress formerly stood.
MUCH MORE in my travelogues. YOU ARE WELCOME :-))).
- Pros:Great old architecture, delicious beer, cheap!
- Cons:Not so easy to get there
- In a nutshell:Take time to taste beer in the amazing Old Town!
To be honest I didn't eat anything here because it was... closed on Sunday. I tkink the owners of the restaurant love... more travel advice
Look at forbidden, a little neglected streets as well. more travel advice
- See All Zerotinovo Square
- See All Dolni Namesti - the monument
- See All No Polish-Czech border soon???
- You maybe even arrested for...
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Olomouc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNDISCOVERED GEM OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC"
- "more than a smelly cheese !!!"
- "Olomouc- the hidden jewel of the Czech Republic"
- "Few days in Olomouc"
- "hund's Olomouc page for uncommon tourists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olomouc
- Hotels in Olomouc
- Transportation in Olomouc
- Nightlife in Olomouc
- Restaurants in Olomouc
- Shopping in Olomouc
- Warnings and Dangers in Olomouc
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olomouc
- 47 Reviews
- 296 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 127 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Olomouc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olomouc
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues