"Historic and EUropean capitol" Brussels by matcrazy1

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,748 reviews and 12,286 photos

Quick decision to go there

I decided to visit Belgium for the first time in my life... one day before my arrival, in Paris. So, I wasn't well prepared for it. I mean I didn't read in advance what to visit there, where to go, what to do etc. I just bought a map of Brussels and took a very loooong walk up and down around the city. And I enjoyed it a lot :-))).

Architecture

I didn't have enough time to discover and feel the city life and unfortunately my budget was very low that time so I couldn't... do you know the whole list? OK, never mind, I found the city very interesting with many masterpieces of old architecture, a lot of people to watch and meet. Brussels was maybe a little crowded, noisy and busy but very relaxing at some places as well.

To fuel or to eat?

That was the question with my low budget there :-). Hmm... I decided to fuel my car to be able to come back home that time - not so easy decision as I had to pass a very difficult exam after coming back (I passed it !!!).
I promised myself to come back to Brussels to taste food I had seen there and to meet more friends there. Maybe soon...

• Pros:Architecture, food, people to watch and meet :-)
  • Cons:Busy and crowded - shortage of parking lots (esp. free :-)
  • In a nutshell:Discover history of Western Europe!
  • Last visit to Brussels: Sep 1993
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2005

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Hi Matts, Will be in Brussels first week of Sept and your tips will help. Thanks. Notice you have not reached Australia yet.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Next week I'll be in Brussels for a few days, so I'm looking around for ideas about what to see (or avoid). Looks like lots of fine architecture.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Brussels has some amazing architecture my particular favourite is the Sablon Church & as you say Matt all for free!!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Good page Matt. Are you going to Santorini for the VT meeting? I've just read (by mistake) that the Duke of Brabant was cut in two... Ciao!!

• rahoka's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Thanks for the interesting pages on BXL. I was there las summer. It was good with sunny weather all through. I enjoyed the city but I must agree with you that the city is too crowded and noisy and I found it a bit messy too. Cheers.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Interesting page. Might go there some day. My niece, who works for the EU in Brussels, speaks of the horrors of Belgian food and she doesn't mean the prices, so perhaps you didn't miss that much.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 5:14 AM

Thanks for my tour of Brussels. This is a direction I would like to explore one day. I am imagining wonderful architecture and hard-to-resist foods.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 9:59 AM

Great page on Brussels. I am visitng the city in one month.:) Anyway, thank for the invitation. I decided to come to the meeting. So, see u soon.:]

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2005 at 4:15 AM

I'm heading there next, in a couple of weeks. Great page! And as for the nature calls, the easiest way is McDonald's, it's the only thing they serve for actually. :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 12:28 AM

You are right, thr first thing to do in Bruxelles is to park the car and the second to take an umbrella or a rain coat !

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?

Latest Activity in Brussels