"Neither American nor European City :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. by matcrazy1

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,732 reviews and 15,308 photos

My hellish and kiddy dream comes true :-)

I didn't know a lot about the capital of the USA before my visit in 2004. First of all, I wanted to see the two symbols of the only world's superpower: the Capitol and the White House. I have watched them thousands times on TV. It is interesting that TV wizzards (unfairly in all channels!) tend to enlarge the White House and reduce the Capitol building on my TV screen. Well, I knew also about the Arlington Cemetery and the Pentagon but technically they were located across the Potomac River, NOT in DC but in Arlington, Virginia. Well, it's an American speciality to divide one city into a few and never combine a few cities, located one by one, into one. They love freedom :-).

Living in Poland, on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain I, a teenager that time, paradoxically could watch Washington, DC more often than Moscow in so-called "Polish" TV. However I could only watch the sea of never ending slums (where to hell they had found them in DC ?) and hear all the time about unbelievable poverty, the world's highest crime rate, continous ethnic violence, thousands of homeless families, prostitutes, drug/alcohol addicted, street children etc. etc. From time to time I could watch peaceful demostrations against "imperialistic US government" brutally pacified by "rude and violent police". Washington was real hell and the worst place on our planet in my TV, radio and newspapers until 1989. This irritating and certainly false Soviet propaganda was spread daily through all mass media but somehow couldn't influence me. Right opposite, my young heart wanted to free from "the heaven" I was told to live in to '"the hell" of the USA and its "awful, imperialistic" capital. It was a dream that time! In 1980' I had never thought that this kiddy dream would ever come true during my life.

VT-meeting :-)

My best memory from Washington, D.C. is time which I spent together with great VT-friends:
- Kathy from Dallas, Texas (Kodi01)
- Kristi from Chicago, Illinois (Dabs)
- Tania from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (skye820),
- Chris from Atlanta, Georgia (balfor)
- Kent from Fairfax, Virginia (Kentbein)
- Nat from Richmond, Virginia (b1bob).

First, it was very moving that these friends came from so far and wide to meet us... Then, they welcomed us on American soil like we were a king and queen or a rock star. We had great time... I'm speechless.. Let's meet again... Welcome to Poland.
On the picture (from the left):
- Kathy.
- Kent,
- Urszula (matcrazy0),
- Tania,
- Chris,
- Kristi.

Details on our Washington VT-meeting are put in my Nightlife tips and travelogues titled "We". Welcome :-)

A week is a minimum, believe me!

Read my, the only one, Tourist Trap tip, please.

I've put up four pages on the US capital, this one and the following ones:
- Georgetown
- Cleveland Park
- United States Navy Memorial

Apart from that the highlights are included in my General Tips of which the following ones are described in details in my Things to Do tips:
1. United States Capitol
7. National Gallery of Art
8. Lincoln Memorial
9. Korean War Veterans Memorial
10. Vietnam Veterans Memorial

• Pros:It's the Federal City! VT-ers I've met, countless free of charge tourist attractions, convenient public transportation
  • Cons:It's the Federal City! Burning in summer, freezing in winter!
  • In a nutshell:Take a week or two off, keep smiling and go! DC awaits!
  • Last visit to Washington D.C.: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Hi, Matt! What a great and detailed page you have created! Good for you! Thanks for sharing!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Great page on Wash DC Matt... I may finally get there is this summer. I think your VT pic is as old as mine..;-) Karl

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM

HI matt ...Thanks for sharing the memories of this part of Washington...great tips with fine pics..cheers Denny

• monica71's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM

great job! i wanted to take a quick break and more than 1 hr later i was still reading your pages :) i hope to have at least as much fun as you did when i will be visiting there. thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Matt...back to your DC page again. Glad I broke the rule and returned to Poland... and met you again. Hope you return to DC one day to continue exploring that fabulous city. It's worth a dozen trips.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Hi Matt - came to see Poland and am lured back to a nostalgic tour of D.C. w/you. Will always return....... Ciao, Carol

• irisha's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM

thanks for this extensive information on D.C.! Helped me remember some of the things I saw there back in 2006 and even learn new stuff about the city :) carry on the amazing work :)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Excellent page and descriptions of the area. Glad you got to visit.

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Happy Birthday Maciek! I hope you have a wonderful day today. :-)

• jethanand's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Hi :) Thank you for posting and sharing. I am glad I found your page on DC - your pictures are very informative and good quality

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

• 1,693 Photos

Have you been to Washington D.C.?

Latest Activity in Washington D.C.