"My Gibraltar" Gibraltar by matcrazy1
Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,213 reviews and 2,718 photos
Gibraltar is famous for the monkeys (it's the only european location of living free monkeys) and the Rock.
My short first impressions:
1. GIBRALTAR IS BEAUTIFUL, YOU MUST VISIT IT
2. The first time I crossed the border on foot coming from Spain; then had to stop on the red light because... believe it or not, an airplane was taking off (the only road to Gibraltar crosses the airfield),
3. For the first time in my life, I saw English Bobbies in their's characterstic caps, red english call boxes, english-style double-decker buses, etc.
4. "The Rock" (a big rocky mountain) looks incredibly high and it frighten me a little at night when it is iluminated; in my opinion it would be great scenery for thrillers,
5. The second time I drove to Gibraltar in my car, I noticed that many drivers after crossed the border, drove straight to the petrol station, and then turned back to Spain; my explanation: the price of petrol in Gibraltar was that time almost 30% lower than in Spain, I decided to fill my tank as well and I got (like every driver buying a full tank) a present from petrol company (a big glass),
6. Driving back to Spain I waited 2 (yes: two) hours at the border, but that was OK because in that time I met many great Spanish friends,
7. The cable to the top of the Rock is a must - amazing view of Europe, The Straits of Gibraltar and Africa,
8. I was the only tourist on the top without nuts for the monkeys (I didn't know the monkeys eat nuts and before the trip I read in my Pascal guide that feeding the monkeys is stricly forbiden); I saw quite a few warning signs "According to Her Majesty Queen.......feeding the monkeys is strictly forbidden.....fee...many pounds" or something along those lines; it was very difficult to convince even a single monkey to pose for a photo without nuts; BTW how much can monkeys eat?, believe me - A LOT and they don't look overweight!; and one more thing: they hate bananas!, I saw tons of them at special feeding points, they preferred nuts from tourists,
9. There is an amazing cave with a theater inside, not far from the top - where they play beautiful music - unforgettable,
10. the citizens of Gibraltar are proud of this little country and always say they are Gibraltarians or British, never Spanish,
11. In the middle of the night I drove round the peninsula - according to my guides it was impossible because the east side was a closed military zone but when I drove all the military base' gates were open - I saw great and a little horrible at night long corridors drilled in the rocks - unforgettable; I have no pics of course at that place:-)
12. I was sleeping in...look at my favourite accommodation (accommodations prices here were uncomfortable for me that time)
13. on the north-east side there is a small beach with some parking which many Gibraltarians stop at for a moment while driving to work in the morning, just to watch the sea and the rising sun - its an amazing view, it makes their work easier, I think
THANK YOU VERY MUCH DAVE (dlandt from Chicago, USA) for your correction of my English!!!
To see more pictures go to my travelogues.
japanese Nissan Sunny 4-doors, built in 1993 0 pounds/$/Euro without breakfast facilities: no bathroom; noisy heating... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "Gibraltar ......The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
Photos in GibraltarSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 348 reviews, 1887 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues