"Under-rated, small-big country!" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia by matcrazy1
Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,186 reviews and 10,798 photos
I was many, many times in Slovakia either on the way - driving towards southern Europe - or on weekend trips in the area adjacent to Poland called Orava and Spis (north-central Slovakia). Usually I am at least once a year there. What for?
To relax and enjoy mountains, fresh air, hot springs, Slovak (inexpensive) beer, to discover amazing wooden archirecture, to meet friends and to enjoy still lower prices than in Poland although they are more and more similar.
Most area of Slovakia is covered by mountains and forests. I enjoyed a lot the only one, really high (over 2000 m = 6562 ft) Tatra Mountains but there were a lot of lower mountains as well of which I liked Mala and Velka Fatra most.
There are numerous smaller and larger cities worth of visit (Bratislava, Zilina, Trnava, Trencin, Nitra, Kosice, Banska Bystrica) but what I liked the most was the countryside and small, hidden villages with somewhat more authentic and friendly atmosphere, amazing wooden architecture and... few tourist facilities. Hmm... I need only clean place to hit a sack and food store (OK, in Slovakia add beer :-) and I always found it in Slovakia.
- Pros:Nature, caves, wooden architecture, hot springs, friendly natives, beer, reasonable prices!
- Cons:Not many tourist facilities in some areas!
- In a nutshell:Relax far from real world!
Excuse me, it's rather quite new traveler's custom than Slovak local custom tip. I noticed that more and more visitors... more travel advice
In mountainous areas of northern and eastern Slovakia you can order roasted small pig or a lamb. Enough food hmm...... more travel advice
- See All He didn't sell drugs :-)
- See All Mala Fatra Mountains
- See All Untouched nature
- See All On foot
- See All Need more info?
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Slovakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..."
- "Under-rated, small-big country!"
- "Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half"
- "Our Southern Neighbours"
- "Slovakia - well worth visiting !"
- "Paul2001's Slovakia Page"
- "My Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovakia
- Hotels in Slovakia
- Transportation in Slovakia
- Nightlife in Slovakia
- Restaurants in Slovakia
- Shopping in Slovakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovakia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovakia
- 229 Reviews
- 383 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovakia
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Pre-Euromeet 2014 Riga"
- Commented on one of zaffaran's Slovakia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Looking for your Slovak ancestors? in Slovakia Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Looking for your Slovak ancestors?"
- updated a Slovakia Travel Page "Under-rated, small-big country!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues