"Under-rated, small-big country!" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia by matcrazy1

Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,186 reviews and 10,798 photos

Why I go there each year?

I was many, many times in Slovakia either on the way - driving towards southern Europe - or on weekend trips in the area adjacent to Poland called Orava and Spis (north-central Slovakia). Usually I am at least once a year there. What for?

To relax and enjoy mountains, fresh air, hot springs, Slovak (inexpensive) beer, to discover amazing wooden archirecture, to meet friends and to enjoy still lower prices than in Poland although they are more and more similar.

Mountains

Most area of Slovakia is covered by mountains and forests. I enjoyed a lot the only one, really high (over 2000 m = 6562 ft) Tatra Mountains but there were a lot of lower mountains as well of which I liked Mala and Velka Fatra most.

Cities and countryside

There are numerous smaller and larger cities worth of visit (Bratislava, Zilina, Trnava, Trencin, Nitra, Kosice, Banska Bystrica) but what I liked the most was the countryside and small, hidden villages with somewhat more authentic and friendly atmosphere, amazing wooden architecture and... few tourist facilities. Hmm... I need only clean place to hit a sack and food store (OK, in Slovakia add beer :-) and I always found it in Slovakia.

• Pros:Nature, caves, wooden architecture, hot springs, friendly natives, beer, reasonable prices!
  • Cons:Not many tourist facilities in some areas!
  • In a nutshell:Relax far from real world!
  • Last visit to Slovakia: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2004

• katarina25's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Dont complain! You have to obey speed limit, dont drink and drive, use seatbelts and police wont be rude to you. You were speeding and you have got speeding ticket. As everybody else. So dont complain and obey law in every country you go to.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Super page on Slovakia. Beautiful old castles that I would like to see. Sheep cheese. YUMMM, my favorite.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Very good overview and introduction to this country. I shall spend3-4 days there on my next vacation.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 1:59 PM

A brilliant page full of helpful info. It could not be more thorough.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 10:13 AM

thanks for the tips, we are going to Slovakia next week.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 2:42 PM

We find Slovakia wonderfully peaceful after Poland and their beer is just great, or so my husband says. Will be back to see more.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2005 at 9:35 AM

I'll be back to read more of your pages I love Slovakia and also the little bit of Poland that I have seen. Susan

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 12:35 PM

Matt, just bought a ticket to Vienna from where I'll explore Slovakia in october. Just read you eating and drinking tips and as I know you're the specialist: i'll stick to Zlaty Bazant 12

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 10:39 PM

A very interesting page with a lot of informative tips ! Very helpful !

• aeroarce's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 10:15 AM

like your way of building pages, with lots of info, really practical and usefull. don't stop building!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Slovakia

Have you been to Slovakia?