"The most beautiful coastline in Italy" Top 5 Page for this destination La Spezia by matcrazy1
La Spezia Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 250 photos
I was in La Spezia twice: in 1994 (visiting Pontovenere and Riomaggiore by a car) and in 1999 visiting Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare by a car and a train.
La Spezia itself seems not to be very interesting place but the coastal region north of La Spezia called Le Cinque Terre (Five lands) is the MOST BEAUTIFUL coastal area of Italy, in my opinion even more beautiful then amazing Costa de Amalfi south of Naples.
Eighteen kilometers (11 mi) of sheer rocky coastline, terraced hills and vineyards sloping steeply down to the sea.
Five little villages are built into the rocks between the beach and the hills. You can hike, swim, drink red wine, and watch blazing Mediterranean sunsets away from the tourist throngs in the Italian cities and the French Riviera. Centuries old footpaths and mule tracks wind about 500 to 1,000 feet above the sea, leading through olive groves and vineyards, orchards and chestnut woods.
Each village has its own character, they are a few minutes apart by train.
There are almost no cars as the villages are not easily accessible by road, but the main railway between Rome and Paris runs along the coast, mainly in tunnels.
Much more about Portovenere and 5 villages of Cinque Terre on their own pages:
- Portovenere - click here
- Riomaggiore - click here
- Manarola - soon,
- Corniglia - soon,
- Vernazza - soon,
- Monterosso al Mare - soon.
La Spezia is located on Mediterranean Coast (Ligurian Sea, Gulf of La Spezia) of Liguria 99 km (62 mi) southeast of Genova.
La Spezia is a pleasant city at the centre of the Gulf, with a beautiful panorama and an extremely mild climate.
It's mainly known as industrial and port city. There are passenger and car ferries departuring from la Spezia to Bastia in the French island of Corsica.
La Spezia is well known NATO naval base, so you can see there many naval ships (I preferred not to take them pics hehe). There is the Naval Museum founded in 1870 in La Spezia - quite interesting if you like model ships from Egyptian and Roman times to the more recent ships of the Italian Navy and the Navies of various European states.
- Pros:Nearby fantastic rocky coast and villages (Cinque Terre)
- Cons:Industrial city and port - busy, surely not very charming city
- In a nutshell:Escape to Cinque Terre - the best coast of Italy
. Climbing up around Manarola take a look at terrace vineyards - don't they look fantastic? . more travel advice
. Don't forget to go downstairs from the main tourist trail in Riomaggiore to admire the beautiful sea. Remember that... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
La Spezia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Spezia"
- "Cinque Terre"
- "Gulf of La Spezia"
- "The most beautiful coastline in Italy"
- "The Essence of Italy"
- "Jumping off to the Cinque Terre"
- "Cinque Terre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Spezia
- Hotels in La Spezia
- Transportation in La Spezia
- Nightlife in La Spezia
- Restaurants in La Spezia
- Shopping in La Spezia
- Warnings and Dangers in La Spezia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Spezia
- 30 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 91 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to La Spezia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Spezia
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Commented on one of micas_pt's La Spezia travel pages
- updated a La Spezia Travel Page "The most beautiful coastline in Italy"
- Wrote a Review Vineyards about surrounding, cinqueterre in La Spezia Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Manarola - church"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues