"Passing through Tarvisio" Tarvisio by matcrazy1

Tarvisio Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 49 photos

Great nature

I was driving a few times from Vienna (Austria) to Italy via Graz, Klagenfurt and Villach. There are two roads: highway A2 (=E 55) and national road (No 13 in Italy). If you choose national road you must pass through Tarvisio - the first and very welcome town in Italian side of the border. I always stopped there just to rest and/or eat first real Italian pizza (in the afternoon) or breakfast hehe.

What more? Beautiful views of the Julian Alps, fresh air and very, very nice people, they always smile and CRY "boungiorno" (good morning or afternoon hehe) when you come in to any store/restaurant and so on.

And there are beautiful LAGHI DI FUSINE (a group of mountain lakes) - I drove up there once.
Add skiing areas nearby. XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003" will take place in Tarvisio and the area.

So, whenever I drive via Tarvisio I will surely stop there at least for an hour :-)

Former border crossing point to Austria

There is an Austrian-Italian border a little north of Tarvisio but... no border crossing point since 1995 because both countries are European Community member and signed out so called Schengen Treaty.
But there was when I was driving first time this way. I wander what did they do with all working there and released staff, he?

XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003"

XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003" will take place in Tarvisio and the area 14-26 January 2003.

The Universiade is an international sporting and cultural festival which is staged every two years in a different city and which is second in importance only to the Olympic Games.

MORE:
www.comuneditarvisio.com/eng/index.htm
www.tarvisio2003.org/English/index.htm

• Pros:Very sympathetic locals, Julian Alps with mountain lakes and skiing areas
  • Cons:I don't know any - oh, maybe sometimes it's not so easy to park a car there
  • In a nutshell:WARM WELCOME IN ITALY
  • Last visit to Tarvisio: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 18, 2006

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 6:14 AM

The mountain lake Laghi Di Fusine looks absolutely amazing. I agree with you that you should stay off the highways and keep to the little roads where you can enjoy and see more. By the way I love the pic on the Capuccino tip.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 1:25 PM

great tips Matt!

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Laghi di Fusine is beautiful! I have been there some years ago. Thanks for sharing Matt.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM

enjoyed looking at your page again

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 12:06 PM

It looks like many people stops here! I stopped too but I was going from Italy to Austria:)) An inverted itinerary hahaha

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 5:14 AM

That little car may be small, uncomfortable, and not very fast...but it took you on a wonderful holiday!

• pakistanibrain's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 4:05 AM

I also had excellent Pizza when I went to Tarvisio. Was just a spontaneous idea to go there, while we were in Klagenfurt to visit the Minimundus.

• Tetreus's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 3:11 AM

Hi Matt ! We also love the laghi di fusine ! We often go there..always beautiful in all saisons of the year. Want to see our travelpages ? Saluti, Janine & Andrea

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2005 at 2:50 AM

The Alps have superb landscapes, whatever the country ! Great page !

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 1:21 PM

I've visited Tarvisio many times. You did an excellent work. Thanks, Matt!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Tarvisio

Have you been to Tarvisio?

Latest Activity in Tarvisio