"Passing through Tarvisio" Tarvisio by matcrazy1
Tarvisio Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 49 photos
I was driving a few times from Vienna (Austria) to Italy via Graz, Klagenfurt and Villach. There are two roads: highway A2 (=E 55) and national road (No 13 in Italy). If you choose national road you must pass through Tarvisio - the first and very welcome town in Italian side of the border. I always stopped there just to rest and/or eat first real Italian pizza (in the afternoon) or breakfast hehe.
What more? Beautiful views of the Julian Alps, fresh air and very, very nice people, they always smile and CRY "boungiorno" (good morning or afternoon hehe) when you come in to any store/restaurant and so on.
And there are beautiful LAGHI DI FUSINE (a group of mountain lakes) - I drove up there once.
Add skiing areas nearby. XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003" will take place in Tarvisio and the area.
So, whenever I drive via Tarvisio I will surely stop there at least for an hour :-)
There is an Austrian-Italian border a little north of Tarvisio but... no border crossing point since 1995 because both countries are European Community member and signed out so called Schengen Treaty.
But there was when I was driving first time this way. I wander what did they do with all working there and released staff, he?
XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003" will take place in Tarvisio and the area 14-26 January 2003.
The Universiade is an international sporting and cultural festival which is staged every two years in a different city and which is second in importance only to the Olympic Games.
- Pros:Very sympathetic locals, Julian Alps with mountain lakes and skiing areas
- Cons:I don't know any - oh, maybe sometimes it's not so easy to park a car there
- In a nutshell:WARM WELCOME IN ITALY
. Whenever you are in Tarvisio I recommend you to go (by a local bus or by a car - scenic road) up to mountain lakes:... more travel advice
. XXIst Winter Universiade "Tarvisio 2003" will take place in Tarvisio and the area 14-26 January 2003. The... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tarvisio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarvisio.... mountains, lakes....and silence"
- "Passing through Tarvisio"
- "Border town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarvisio
- Hotels in Tarvisio
- Nightlife in Tarvisio
- Restaurants in Tarvisio
- Shopping in Tarvisio
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarvisio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarvisio
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Tarvisio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarvisio
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues