"Real Casablanca is not a Hollywood image" Top 5 Page for this destination Casablanca by matcrazy1
Casablanca Travel Guide: 519 reviews and 1,334 photos
Casablanca with population of about 2.9 million people is the largest city of Morocco and is mainly known from the film "Casablanca" with Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart. If the Hollywood image of "Casablanca" is important to you, prepare for a shock from Casablanca. The city is further away from Oriental romanticism than any other in Morocco, and Casablanca is a modern city in Moroccan way.
The centre of Casablanca is fairly impressive. It's brand modern, with big, lively boulevards, high, white, well-kept buildings. And it's clean and efficient. People visiting Casablanca as their first city, could easily end up hating this place: There are few things here confirming the newcomers conception on the Orient. But for people having visited other parts of Morocco first, Casablanca is good! The city is modern in a Moroccan way, and an excellent example of Moroccans capacity of taking charge of the future of their country.
The classic romantic melodrama Casablanca (1942) is always found on top-ten lists of films. It is about two men vying for the same woman's love in a love triangle. The story is set against the backdrop of the wartime conflict between democracy and totalitarianism.
"Casablanca" was directed by the talented Michael Curtiz and to be honest shot almost entirely on Hollywood studio sets, not in Casablanca :-).
The Hasan II Mosque (opened in 1993) which is situated on the Atlantic Coast, northwest of medina is a must see in Casablanca. It may admit up to 100,000 people inside (including 20,000 in the Main Hall). It's said that it is the biggest mosque in the world.
- Pros:Hassan II Mosque, eating, modern in a Moroccan way city
- Cons:Too busy and noisy city, not so romantic place like in Hollywood image
- In a nutshell:Real Casablanca is not a Hollywood image
Driving in Casablanca was rather easy, the main streets were wide and quite comfortable. Like in the whole Morocco do... more travel advice
I had the only one unpleasant event in contacts with Morocan "parking guards" just in Casablanca. I parked a car in... more travel advice
- See All Short-time parking zone
- Golf and horseriding
- See All Where to do shopping ?
- See All The cheapest restaurants
- Maps and good humour :-)))
- NOT my favourite city for nightlife
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Casablanca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Real Casablanca is not a Hollywood image"
- "C A S A B L A N C A, Toursit trap or not?"
- "Modern town"
- "TWO DAYS IN "CASA""
- "As time goes by"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Casablanca
- Hotels in Casablanca
- Transportation in Casablanca
- Nightlife in Casablanca
- Restaurants in Casablanca
- Shopping in Casablanca
- Warnings and Dangers in Casablanca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Casablanca
- 45 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Casablanca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Casablanca
Photos in CasablancaSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues