"Where time stopped long time ago :-)" Sale by matcrazy1

Sale Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 104 photos

Impressive city walls and gates

Sale is a twin city to Rabat, the capital of Morocco. The two cities are seperated by the Atlantic mouth of quite large river (Ouled Bou Regreg). I spent a few hours walking around the medina of Sale just before arriving to Rabat. I was welcomed by huge and well maintained city walls and gates. Well, it was nothing unique in Morocco.

No visitors :-)

Although this old town (Sala Colonia) doesn't offer any unique or impressive architecture it's my recommendation to visit it. The first reason is that there are very few visitors to Sale. At least I didn't meet any.

Time stopped in Sale :-)

I've found the medina of Sale completely different than busy, crowded, noicy, fast growing and changing Rabat, just across a river. Instead I've found the white lazy city with some muslim conservative touch: local guys dressed in traditional jellabia, no women except mothers walking with a group of small kids to/from a school, almost no cars - just lazy, hot peace and quite.

• Pros:Peace and quiet, local conservative lifestyle, medersa and Muslim cemetery
  • Cons:Few interesting architecture, Grand Mosque closed for non-muslims, hot for me :-)
  • In a nutshell:Go back in time in Sale :-)
  • Last visit to Sale: Sep 1998
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2005

• Jun 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Amazing: I especially took interest in your local customs tips; they're what truly defines a journey. I thank you very much for bringing Sale -- as well as your generous opinions and insight -- to the forefront of intrigue.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 4:34 AM

Sale looks a very interesting place, Matt - and all the better, I suspect, for being slightly 'off the beaten tourist path'.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I wish we had gone to Sale. It sounds really great, I think we spent too long exploring Rabat.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM

When I visited Morocco, I went o Rabat, but not Sale. I remember seeing the city across the river from Rabat.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 4:24 AM

From what you write I think I prefer Sale to Rabat. Peaceful, ancient, traditional and friendly -what else can one want? The only thing I might not like there is the heat. Excellent informative page, very helpful for potential visitors.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 4:34 AM

Very interesting page. I love the architecture of the walls and buildings. I also like to visit cemeteries in different countries.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 10:52 AM

I, too, love architecture so was fascinated by your enthusiasm for it and inclusion in tips and travelogues. Great work with excellent observations about culture.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 10:32 AM

Gosh, although it may not even appear as something many people want to visit, its still interesting to see how these little towns are. Great page Matt!!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 7:17 AM

That old Kodak camera of yours did a good job. I'm not sure if I could go to a place with no restaurants! ;-)

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 3:55 PM

Czesz Mat! after reading gile miltons book 'white gold' which is an account of the white slave trade in sale till the 1820's. It is interesting to see the pictures of city... Cheers Jasen

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Sale