"Better surroundings than the city itself" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by matcrazy1

Tangier Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,173 photos

Not my favourite city in Morocco

Tanger was the second place and city I visited in Morocco (after Tetouan) and to be honest it was not my favourite city in Morocco. It seemed to me too dirty, too strange, too unpleasant even dangerous.

Falling in love with Tangier is not easy, I am sure. Although tourist police in Morocco does a lot against unpleasant guiding, hustling, street begging etc. it seems nothing has changed in Tangier. It's said about the strong ties between the police, local authorities and the local mafia. I don't know anything about it but the suspicious atmosphere of Tangier makes it a difficult destination for travellers with no earlier Morocco experience.

Many faces of Tangier

Tangier has many faces. There are busy, lively streets with amazing local architecture - mosques and residences, and empty, dirty, neglected streets out off the beaten paths.

Notice that a city maybe unsafe at night and in the evenings which is different to the rest of Morocco. Even at day walking around I saw two young guys who were seriously fighting which was very unpleasant to see - blood, violence and... no police just people watching around. It never happened to me anywhere else in Morocco.

Shopping, I mean local handicrafts seem to be much more expensive than elsewhere in Morocco. The town beach was polluted and not cleaned at least when I was there. Kids beg for money on every corner, and "official" guides tried to offer me their service (with no succes :-) in many places.

At least I found lovely surroundings

Being tired and unsatisfied about Tangier itself I took very relaxing loop drive outside the city. What a nice surprise, I was very lucky to see Cape Spartel with square lighthouse and amazing views over the Atlantic Ocean and Europe across the Straits of Gibraltar.

Now, I think, that Tangier is an interesting destination first for relaxed visitors and those who had already been around Morocco for a bit.

• Pros:Cape Spartel nearby
  • Cons:Too dirty, too strange, too unpleasant even dangerous
  • In a nutshell:Better surroundings than the city itself
  • Last visit to Tangier: Sep 1998
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2005

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Thanks for such a valuable contribution! First-hand info! Happy New Year, dear fellow traveller!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Hi Matt, Nice tips, we will be on coach tour, hopefully everything will go well. A little worried whether we might get upset stomach from local food.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Great page Matt. I think I had similar feelings about Tangier though you did see a lot more than I did. Now that I know Morocco better i'd like to return and see the city again.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for an interesting page! Because I only saw the customs compound in Tangier as we had to stay overnight there with the overland truck group I travelled from Dec 88, apparently a paper was suddenly missing...

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 2:37 AM

great comments 9as usual) - it looks like a very busy city with beautiful and typical arabic accents - well worth to visit

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM

A very nice virtual tour of Tangier.It seems that this is not your favorite place to visit, a great experience though.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 1:40 AM

Despite some negative aspects, places like Tangier still have a certain fascination. And I think is worth a visit. Very nice and realistic page, Matt.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 5:29 AM

Greetings from sunny Florida! Really enjoyed this page on Tangier Matt. It is a wonderful city to explore and you seem to have explored much of the interesting spots. Well done.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM

An interesting look at Tangier, presenting what looks a realistic perspective, Matt. I think maybe I'll pass on visiting.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Interesting page I didn't know about the square shaped minorets - a place you did not enjoy perhaps!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Tangier

Have you been to Tangier?

Latest Activity in Tangier