"Better surroundings than the city itself" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by matcrazy1
Tangier Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,173 photos
Tanger was the second place and city I visited in Morocco (after Tetouan) and to be honest it was not my favourite city in Morocco. It seemed to me too dirty, too strange, too unpleasant even dangerous.
Falling in love with Tangier is not easy, I am sure. Although tourist police in Morocco does a lot against unpleasant guiding, hustling, street begging etc. it seems nothing has changed in Tangier. It's said about the strong ties between the police, local authorities and the local mafia. I don't know anything about it but the suspicious atmosphere of Tangier makes it a difficult destination for travellers with no earlier Morocco experience.
Tangier has many faces. There are busy, lively streets with amazing local architecture - mosques and residences, and empty, dirty, neglected streets out off the beaten paths.
Notice that a city maybe unsafe at night and in the evenings which is different to the rest of Morocco. Even at day walking around I saw two young guys who were seriously fighting which was very unpleasant to see - blood, violence and... no police just people watching around. It never happened to me anywhere else in Morocco.
Shopping, I mean local handicrafts seem to be much more expensive than elsewhere in Morocco. The town beach was polluted and not cleaned at least when I was there. Kids beg for money on every corner, and "official" guides tried to offer me their service (with no succes :-) in many places.
Being tired and unsatisfied about Tangier itself I took very relaxing loop drive outside the city. What a nice surprise, I was very lucky to see Cape Spartel with square lighthouse and amazing views over the Atlantic Ocean and Europe across the Straits of Gibraltar.
Now, I think, that Tangier is an interesting destination first for relaxed visitors and those who had already been around Morocco for a bit.
- Pros:Cape Spartel nearby
- Cons:Too dirty, too strange, too unpleasant even dangerous
- In a nutshell:Better surroundings than the city itself
I took a loop drive from Tangier to the Cape Spartel and the Hercules Caves. When I was walking on high cliffs of the... more travel advice
This is quite large restaurant with an outside terrace with a view over the lighthouse put among palm trees. The... more travel advice
- See All My recommendation :-)
- See All The Hercules Caves
- See All Dirty cheap accommodations
- Walk around the Medina
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Tangier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Better surroundings than the city itself"
- "Memories of Tangier"
- "Tangier, a street corner where Europe meets Africa"
- "OUR TANGIER "EXPERIENCE""
- "Our Day Trip to Tangier"
- "Keeweechic's Tangier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tangier
- Hotels in Tangier
- Transportation in Tangier
- Nightlife in Tangier
- Restaurants in Tangier
- Shopping in Tangier
- Warnings and Dangers in Tangier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tangier
- 43 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Tangier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tangier
Photos in TangierSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues